Notice: Purchasing, Trials and Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know: Part II >>

Topic - More ACS Tests.....

Page 1 of 5
   1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last 
Hey troops,

here are a couple more of the tests I did with ACS. It's an awesome, flexible system, and everyone should get it........ I wanted to see what other things could be combined with the animations, and turns out it can be anything........ limitless possibilities

Fur, Replicators, Render Booleans, and blobs........... GOOD TIMES!!

***Thanks to Matt Cox for his "Summer of Modo" Tricycle...

Message edited by Brian Vowles on 3/15/2013 - 3:58 PM

Nice, love the strut..
Awesome work! I think the extended pinky fingers are what allow him to maneuver the tricycle so well :)
Cool stuff Brian!
I'm wondering how you coordinate the feet with the pedals on the trike.
Any (simple) secrets you can share?
LOL, great man! I have the same curiosity thatn DaleĀ“s about the pedal feet coordination.
Hey guys,

This scene was the easiest of the ACS ones i did, it kind of animated itself..... the bike is doing almost all of the work.....

At frame 0 i posed him on the bike jut to make sure he would fit, then i turned him off,

the bike is on a path, and i animated the pedals to match the speed of that.... I set the path speed to linear so it was easy to match the rotation without having any major slipping......then I animated the steering...... so when it was done I had a steering peddling, ghost bike......

Once i turned the Guy back on, all i had to do was parent the hand controls to locators i put on the grips...., parent his butt to the seat...... and lastly parent his foot controls (which drive the IK) to the pedals...... once I hit play the bike just pulls him along for the ride..... then you just layer on stuff like the shoulders, looking around, and pinky animation.

make sense?

thanks for putting these up Brian!
The description of how you did it is very helpfull, too.

Greetings,
Lukasz
Ha that's great and the way you describe it makes it easy, though it looks rather complex. Pinky anima adds style to tricycle riding.
I looooove this! I did an animation of a frog riding a bike a long time ago, so I know what ya mean the bike doing a lot of driving the animation :) Really cool man! Keep em coming.
Quote from Brian Vowles :
Hey guys,

This scene was the easiest of the ACS ones i did, it kind of animated itself..... the bike is doing almost all of the work.....

At frame 0 i posed him on the bike jut to make sure he would fit, then i turned him off,

the bike is on a path, and i animated the pedals to match the speed of that.... I set the path speed to linear so it was easy to match the rotation without having any major slipping......then I animated the steering...... so when it was done I had a steering peddling, ghost bike......

Once i turned the Guy back on, all i had to do was parent the hand controls to locators i put on the grips...., parent his butt to the seat...... and lastly parent his foot controls (which drive the IK) to the pedals...... once I hit play the bike just pulls him along for the ride..... then you just layer on stuff like the shoulders, looking around, and pinky animation.

make sense?

Thanks Brian, it DOES make sense - I guess. I'm really slow and haven't wrapped my brain around all this rigging stuff yet. Suffice it to say that your trike rider looks like MAGIC to me!
hahahha magical animation............... awesome........ wait till 701 when we can put pixie dust all over everything!!!!

here is a peak behind the magic curtain...... might help explain more.

http://screencast.com/t/7GYQq66aym

Message edited by Brian Vowles on 3/18/2013 - 9:30 AM

hahahha magical animation............... awesome........ wait till 701 when we can put pixie dust all over everything!!!!

here is a peak behind the magic curtain...... might help explain more.

http://screencast.com/t/7GYQq66aym

Thanks Brian! I am sure I will be able to wrap my brain around this stuff eventually! Keep on posting the inspiring tests, man!
Here is another tip, in case anyone cares.

Sometimes it's alot easier to animate the character and move the set instead. For scenes where characters need to travel great lengths , I find that playing catch up with your working camera is very annoying and slow. It's also very tedious to get good compositions when you have to keep playing catchup with your render camera. This approach obviously doesn't work for everything but when it does it makes things nice and manageable.
Fun stuff.

I'm waiting for someone to make a Character Animation tutorial using ACS.

BTW, How did you talk one of Ridley Scott's Alien Engineers to ride that tricycle.
It's sick.
After seeing your demoes, i will definitely pick up the ACS

Thanks Brian,

Paul

Quote from Paul B. :
After seeing your demoes, i will definitely pick up the ACS

Thanks Brian,

Paul

You wont regret it.
More inspiring stuff. Love the boarder animation, Brian.
I thought some people might like to see the "how to" for the brick smash sequence....... This was my first ASC test and so much fun to do............it also provided room for another, sneaky workaround.....

You'll also notice at the end of the shot that I just punched in the camera in because I was to lazy to animate his feet turning around.
Great animations, and funny :)
/peter
That walk cycle with the fur and the render booleans shows the power of the render engine quite well.

I did notice you have a pop in his chest hair. If this is using guides it might be due to the blend angle on the fur.

Some nice animation you have in those movies.

Message edited by StuManFu on 3/19/2013 - 3:53 AM

Really great stuff Brian! Are you doing these animations on a home machine or is this something you do at work?

How are you creating these short movies? Thanks.
Thanks guys,

@Stu - yeah, I don't have a lot of experience with fur and I kind of just slapped this on, but that's good to know. Fur is weird because you can't really tell if your going to get a pop until it's rendered out....

@gman - All these animation were done at home. For the rendered movies I rendered out image sequences and bring them into After Effects, or just combine them in Quicktime. The other stuff is just "Record OpenGL to Movie"

Great stuff, So would you say the ACS is worth it? Or are you better off just learning to rig and animate? Just saying this because I don't have much experience in rigging characters, but if this is truly worth, it might be something someone like me would be interested in.

Thanks
Thanks guys,

@Stu - yeah, I don't have a lot of experience with fur and I kind of just slapped this on, but that's good to know. Fur is weird because you can't really tell if your going to get a pop until it's rendered out....

If it is fur without hair guides then this is surely worth bugging? If it is with guides then the blending of the hair between guides can be changed to stop it snapping. But like you say, annoying that the only way to find out is to render it first.
Quote from CodyKallas :
Great stuff, So would you say the ACS is worth it? Or are you better off just learning to rig and animate? Just saying this because I don't have much experience in rigging characters, but if this is truly worth, it might be something someone like me would be interested in.

Thanks

ACS is totally worth it..... Rigging is a beast to learn and it takes years to become proficient at it...... I have been doing it for a few years and I still suck at it....... ACS takes all of that pain away.... it allows you to focus on making characters and performances...... and while I would say that it's wise to know the basics of rigging, to try and make a rig as good as the one in ACS is just not practical for most people. There is a lot of knowledge packing in there....

If you bought ACS today you could be animating your own character tomorrow..... good times!!

Page 1 of 5
   1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last