Notice: Community Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know >>

Topic - Carburetor

Just an experiment to see whether an ordinary industrial object could be made to look aesthetically pleasing. This carburetor from an old motorcycle seemed like the perfect subject; something utterly bland and uninspiring, whose form was determined purely by functional considerations. I just threw on some materials from the preset library and picked an abstract environment in which to render it. I'll refine it a bit, once I come up with a suitable environment to place it in.
very nice. i like it.
An incredibly nice bit of modelling as well as textures!
I'm no gear head, but I think it's beautiful.
Quote from Dale Schulz aka Dasch :
An incredibly nice bit of modelling as well as textures!

I can't take credit for the textures; they're just taken from Modo's materials library. :-)
Quote from Andrewward :

I can't take credit for the textures; they're just taken from Modo's materials library. :-)

Hehe - well, it's the model that BLOWS my mind anyway! Excellent work!

Hehe - well, it's the model that BLOWS my mind anyway! Excellent work!

Hey Dasch, given your considerable level of expertise with Modo (which I completely lack), roughly how long do you figure it would take you to create this model?
Quote from Andrewward :

Hey Dasch, given your considerable level of expertise with Modo (which I completely lack), roughly how long do you figure it would take you to create this model?

Jeez Andrew - I'm not sure I would attempt a model like this, but my guess is that it would take me about a week. And that would be working maybe 4 to 6 hour days on it. A lot of it would depend on what I had for reference. For me it would be easiest if I had the actual machine in my hands so that I could study and measure individual parts. I've tried working from plans and photos and find that difficult.

Did you build this? In which app? (oops just saw that it is a SolidWorks model)

Message edited by Dale Schulz aka Dasch on 2/6/2013 - 10:53 AM

Jeez Andrew - I'm not sure I would attempt a model like this, but my guess is that it would take me about a week. And that would be working maybe 4 to 6 hour days on it. A lot of it would depend on what I had for reference. For me it would be easiest if I had the actual machine in my hands so that I could study and measure individual parts. I've tried working from plans and photos and find that difficult.

Did you build this? In which app? (oops just saw that it is a SolidWorks model)

Yep, this is the kind of model Solidworks was designed for. I have the actual carburetor, so the measurements were obtained with my trusty dial caliper. Total time to completion was about six hours. A Solidworks professional (I'm just a hobbyist), would be able to do it far more quickly.
Quote from Andrewward :

Total time to completion was about six hours. A Solidworks professional (I'm just a hobbyist), would be able to do it far more quickly.

being a Catia and Poly modeler myself, i´d say 6hrs for a model like this in Solidworks is rather quick. And i´d have to agree that modeling this in Polys would be a real PITA and could take forever, and it probably will never look that crisp and accurate as yours.
so what i´m trying to say here is: good job

one thing i noticed with your rendering are some burnt out white regions. Maybe you can try to reduce the brightness of those areas so that you get some nicer falloffs/gradients.

Cheers
Quote from twooneone :

being a Catia and Poly modeler myself, i´d say 6hrs for a model like this in Solidworks is rather quick. And i´d have to agree that modeling this in Polys would be a real PITA and could take forever, and it probably will never look that crisp and accurate as yours.
so what i´m trying to say here is: good job

I should explain that the relatively short time it took was because I only took measurements of the basic shapes; the minor details were done by eye.

one thing i noticed with your rendering are some burnt out white regions. Maybe you can try to reduce the brightness of those areas so that you get some nicer falloffs/gradients.

Cheers

You're absolutely right. I set up the rendering very quickly, using only the standard material and environment presets that come with Modo 601. Once I come up with an interesting scene to place it in, I'll spend more time on lighting and other variables.
Quote from Andrewward :
Total time to completion was about six hours. A Solidworks professional (I'm just a hobbyist), would be able to do it far more quickly.

Yeah. No way I could compete with THAT. That's why my models are always so simple. =)

Yeah. No way I could compete with THAT. That's why my models are always so simple. =)

Well, each type of software has its strengths and weaknesses. Solidworks was designed specifically for the types of models that engineers and industrial designers come up with, so creating machine models is much faster in SW than it would be in Modo. On the other hand, Solidworks is TERRIBLE for creating sculpted organic forms, which is where Modo excels. For example, I managed to create this model of a soldier ant in SW, but it took me much, much longer than someone proficient in Modo would require, and the final results in Modo wouldn't look as mechanical.

nice render of a cv carb; anyone notice the carb is upside down?

Message edited by teammccabe on 2/15/2013 - 2:10 PM

Quote from teammccabe :
nice render of a cv carb; anyone notice the carb is upside down?

Apparently no one did. It's a vague reference to Marcel Duchamp: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/3671180/Duchamps-Fountain-The-practical-joke-that-launched-an-artistic-revolution.html
Looks great, good job :)
This is great stuff! So many SolidWorks users benifited when Lux took over thier rendering package. Now that we have CAD loaders for modo its going to be amazing to see the work to come with animation and organic modeling!
Wow!!! Impressive. You have made this into a thing of delicate beauty. Hats off to you.
This is the other side. I didn't think it was all that interesting, but it does show some missing geometry. Here the carburetor is shown right side up.

Cool, on the thumbnail i thought almost it was like a industrial strength camera
I keep staring at this... it's just so pretty, are you using render bevels on all of your materials? There are a few very hard edges, and then a lot of other soft bevels, might just be really subtle. Still, it's a wonderfull piece of work.
Quote from JVaughan :
I keep staring at this... it's just so pretty, are you using render bevels on all of your materials? There are a few very hard edges, and then a lot of other soft bevels, might just be really subtle. Still, it's a wonderfull piece of work.

There shouldn't be any hard edges. I've set the Rounded Edge Width to 12 mil on all materials that would otherwise have squared edges. The larger diameter bevels you see were of course created manually.
Really nice, Andrew. Love your materials, too.

MODO, and the modo community ROCKS!
Visit www.mikejamesmedia.com

really nice fella,
I used to be a technical illustrator so I just can't help but love this kind of stuff!
Really nice materials as well

Very nicely done!

cheers

Stu