Notice: Purchasing, Trials and Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know: Part II >>

Topic - Universe Fly through WIP

Page 1 of 2
   1  2  Next  Last 

• Martian Megalopolis, Olympus Mons, Mars
  • 11601 posts
This is my first test render of Jupiter using an animated 4k texture map I made using PS and AE.\

And here is the frame I posted before of part of the flythrough of the MilkyWay Galaxy.

Message edited by Marinello on 12/20/2012 - 11:36 PM

Looks awesome!!! I love space, keep it up.

• 11601 posts
I made a breakthrough today. I discovered how to use sprites to augment regular volume items so that render times are reduced while flying a camera through a volume. Here is a nebula rendered with sprites with the camera inside the volume.

Render time for this frame was 2 minutes!

Message edited by Marinello on 12/30/2012 - 9:08 PM

You see? There's always another way that doesn't take 65 hours to render :-)

That looks like it has actual volume.

Message edited by adrencg on 12/31/2012 - 12:57 PM

• 11601 posts
Thanks!

Unfortunately sprites can't do everything and you still need to use regular volumes and volume lights for certain shot elements - and they are very expensive to render.

Message edited by Marinello on 1/1/2013 - 11:15 AM

Quote from Marinello2003 :
Thanks!

Unfortunately sprites can't do everything and you still need to use regular volumes and volume lights for certain shot elements - and they are very expensive to render.

they don't get really bad until you're inside one, as I've found.
When can we see a clip?

• 11601 posts
Quote from Zarathustra :
When can we see a clip?

I'm not ready to show it publicly, however if you give me your email address I'd be happy to share it with you privately.
Looks great! I'm imagining a scene from Star Trek Nemesis - there was a super cool fly-through from planet to planet.

I'm curious about how exactly you achieved that "warp speed" effect of the camera inside the volume. Is this rendered with motion blur and two keyframes? And how did you shade the different colors in the nebula? Multiple colored volumes or a gradient?

• 11601 posts
Thanks! This is all for my Aoleon The Martian Girl book intro video (for the iPad version).

I think what I will do is include a tutorial download for people who buy my book and provide a link to the scene files so they can dissect what I did.

In the above image I used sprites that were based on another nebula that I had rendered with normal volumes (as the sprite image) and then I used a camera projection onto the point cloud along with procedural textures to get the overall nebula colors and depth/scattering.

Most galaxies/nebulae in my video are a combination of all 3 volume types (Volume light, Volume Item, and Sprite). I find that in order to get everything from very small dust/mist to dark matter volumes you need to use all the different types combined. For example, Volume lights are best for creating mist/microparticle dust clouds/and fog/haze. While Item Volumes are best for very solid (with little scattering) types of volumes, and sprites are best for rendering camera flythroughs of volumes.

Message edited by Marinello on 1/10/2013 - 9:12 AM

• 11601 posts
Here is what I am doing now... Experimenting with blob volumes and using them to take my character models and make them into constellations. Here is the character constellation pass. So far I have over 50 render passes that make up this video.

• 11601 posts
Update, the blob volume character constellations worked perfectly! They integrate well into the background plate and look like stars. Im also using this technique now for the titles.

• 11601 posts
Update! I figured out how to make volumes in After Effects using Trapcode form and by using my Galaxy point cloud model I created in Modo.

Here are two images where Modo volumetrics are being augmented by secondary volumetric clouds rendered in AfterEffects.

These are two images from my sequence where you are flying through the inside of a galaxy. In the background you see a Modo volume light with a modo volumetric galactic cloud formation. In the foreground you see smaller nebulae that are rendered in AfterEffects using trapcode Form.

The biggest problem I am having is getting the 3D camera to match up with Modo's camera. Even with the AE camera exporter script, things never work right.

This is mostly trapcode form with the very dark background rendered in Modo.

Aoleon

Message edited by Marinello on 1/15/2013 - 8:13 PM

Thanx for sharing your technique Marinello. It is looking preety amazing so far. I always love the space images and flying around solar systems. Will you show more planets ? Mars , Saturn etc ?

Windows 8 Profesional | 64GB RAM | AMD card | portfolio: www.behance.net/tomerk | twitter: TLechocinski

Where's the video for this? It looks interesting, though it's hard to gauge what's going on without seeing it in motion.

btw, your web site triggers a virus warning :(
This is looking pretty amazing. I love the fact your leveraging sprites and getting those render times down. I'm keen on environment techniques so I'll follow this with interest...great work.

• 11601 posts
Quote from Dexters :
Where's the video for this? It looks interesting, though it's hard to gauge what's going on without seeing it in motion.

btw, your web site triggers a virus warning :(

How can my website trigger a virus warning? I use Norton 360 on my PC and no virus warning for my website. Please explain in detail what is happening and what antivirus you are using. Thanks!

At your first comment, I am not ready to show the video yet as it's only 2/3rds done and is still missing several key passes.

Message edited by Marinello on 1/29/2013 - 12:46 PM

• 11601 posts
Quote from 3DSquirrel :
This is looking pretty amazing. I love the fact your leveraging sprites and getting those render times down. I'm keen on environment techniques so I'll follow this with interest...great work.

Thank you!

My biggest hurdle now is balancing all the 55 or so render passes in AfterEffects properly so it doesn't turn into a birds nest and look like a total mess(which it seems to do in certain places).

Also this is my very first time using AfterEffects for compositing. It has worked out really well so far and was very easy to learn to use. I have been using some 3rd party plugins as well such as Optical Flares (there is a crapload of lens flares in this video - so if you arn't a JJ Abrams fan, then you probably will hate this video). Also Im using the trapcode suite - trapcode form with Modo point cloud data to render some nebula elements inside AE. It's interesting to note that even with 2 highend GPUs in my PC, the sprite volumes in Trapcode still render very slowly (comparable to Modo CPU only speeds).

• 11601 posts
Secondary Volume Pass Tests on Pillars of Creation inside Eagle Nebula

`
Aoleon

Message edited by Marinello on 1/29/2013 - 12:56 PM

• 11601 posts

I'm curious about how exactly you achieved that "warp speed" effect of the camera inside the volume. Is this rendered with motion blur and two keyframes? And how did you shade the different colors in the nebula? Multiple colored volumes or a gradient?

It's just motion blur in Modo and in AfterEffects. The camera is moving really fast, so the blur happens naturally.

The camera is moving at about 100,000 ly per second and covers about 15 billion ly in about 3 minutes.

My Modo camera settings have motion blur set to 25% (which tells you how fast the camera is moving)

Message edited by Marinello on 1/29/2013 - 1:22 PM

• 11601 posts
Are there any compositing or color correction Gurus here who can tell me how to fix overbright colors for downconversion from float depth to 8bit?
Wow, this is looking like some immence task, but great work so far!!!

Space. I love space. Spacceeeeee
Portal 2 Space

• 11601 posts
Quote from Modeller_Kage :
Wow, this is looking like some immence task, but great work so far!!!

Space. I love space. Spacceeeeee
Portal 2 Space

That's going to be me in the funny farm after I finish this project ;D

• 11601 posts
Flying out of Orion constellation past the red supergiant Betelguise.

-Aoleon

Message edited by Marinello on 1/31/2013 - 11:48 PM

• 11601 posts
My overbrights problem is now solved!

If you see the lights in the image above, that is a float depth image and the lights are overbright. When you downconvert the movie to 8bit Quicktime from Open EXR, the brights turn to shit. Furthermore the color clamping plugins in AE don't create a desireable look as the colors then become banded. However, I found a solution after much searching. The Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks plugin has a "shoulder" node that rounds out the brightness so that you don't get that ugly stepping! Thank you red giant! http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/videos/redgianttv/item/368/

Aoleon

Message edited by Marinello on 2/4/2013 - 7:54 AM

Page 1 of 2
   1  2  Next  Last