Notice: Community Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know >>

Topic - OutfluxCG demo reel updates

Page 1 of 3
   1  2  3  Next  Last 
I don't have a website mostly because I can't post any of my client's work on the web. I've been re-working my demo reel, so I decided to update a few shots(or create new ones) in my own style. Most of the time, it's frustrating doing medical animation because I don't get to run wild, and I have to adhere to strict guidelines from an art director. Also, I can start promoting myself with a website with work that I completely own the rights to.

This is a virus molecule from a product I worked on named Synagis a couple years back. I re-created it in Zbrush with more detail, and it's probably going to end up in a shot with a few others breaking through a particle cloud. I have some decent downtime during the holidays, so I want to get the shot completed before I'm back to work.

----edit ----

I'm turning this thread into my demo reel thread. Showing my work will motivate me to get it done, and I can get some feedback also.

Message edited by adrencg on 1/2/2013 - 8:48 PM

• Martian Megalopolis, Olympus Mons, Mars
  • 11590 posts
Nice!
Quote from Marinello2003 :
Nice!

Thanks. I was just thinking of you...I had checked on a render of the virus and it says 1 hour and 23 minutes to go.

Did you figure out your rendering issue with that volumetric?

Message edited by adrencg on 12/20/2012 - 8:32 PM

Very cool, Adrencg

• 11590 posts
Oooh i like the color render a lot better. Looks great.

Unfortunately Im still dealing with very long render times. But I have decided to hand paint in PS the frames that take over 24 hours ;D

By the way I decided to share my work on my animation with the community. You can find my WIP thread here. I hope to see you there with comments ;D

http://forums.luxology.com/topic.aspx?f=9&t=72353

Message edited by Marinello on 12/20/2012 - 11:30 PM

If anyone has any ideas on how to make the specularity look less prickly, I'm open to ideas. These pics averaged an hour each to render(not happy with that) -- and it's still a grainy mess, even 512 samples AA.

Message edited by adrencg on 12/21/2012 - 6:57 AM

Quote from Mike Jagodzinski :
Very cool, Adrencg

Isn't it funny how a half baked idea while walking your dog in the morning can turn into a piece of artwork later in the day?
Very nice looking virus!
This is a good virus?) Nice virus/

http://mymodo.ru
http://modostore.com

Isn't it funny how a half baked idea while walking your dog in the morning can turn into a piece of artwork later in the day?

Sure does Adrencg :)

Message edited by Mike Jagodzinski on 12/21/2012 - 6:09 PM

• 11590 posts
Quote from adrencg :
If anyone has any ideas on how to make the specularity look less prickly, I'm open to ideas. These pics averaged an hour each to render(not happy with that) -- and it's still a grainy mess, even 512 samples AA.

You could try rendering in passes where you make specularity a separate pass. They you can blur the spec in PS.
Quote from Marinello2003 :

You could try rendering in passes where you make specularity a separate pass. They you can blur the spec in PS.

I tried separating the spec pass and blurring in post, and it helps a little. I'm very saddened by the fact that just rendering specularity took 30 minutes -- and it was still way too grainy.

I'm no ta fan of breaking down images into passes, especially render buffers. I like to keep post simple as possible.

Nice, looks like you can touch it.

Hmm, that's strange about the specl pass since spec calc is usually super fast, are you using refl blur? Just wondering what would cause it to slow down like that, perhaps is something in the render settings. Are you doing dof in render or post? Cool stuff.
Quote from ambassador :
Nice, looks like you can touch it.

Hmm, that's strange about the specl pass since spec calc is usually super fast, are you using refl blur? Just wondering what would cause it to slow down like that, perhaps is something in the render settings. Are you doing dof in render or post? Cool stuff.

yeah, there's reflection blur. It's just something about Modo's render engine. I don't think I've seen an engine worse at calculating blurry reflection. Even some of the renders around here that take 10 hours or more are filled with way too much grain.

wo.Ow

Great work! Really nice looking!

greetz
gunnar
http://maview.deviantart.com/
Quote from adrencg :

yeah, there's reflection blur. It's just something about Modo's render engine. I don't think I've seen an engine worse at calculating blurry reflection. Even some of the renders around here that take 10 hours or more are filled with way too much grain.

Hmm, I dont have modo at home here, what version of modo are you rendering it in? Perhaps adjusting the ray importance (haha, a week a way from the studio, I forget what things are called) and threshold may help, along with GI calc distance, area light samples and sss samples.

I do agree though, refl blur is quite noisy, even at high samples, there always seems to be a fine noise unlike other render engines. Maybe I could look at the scene when back at the studio Wednesday, no need for the zbrush maps...they tend to crash my scenes anyways, haha!:)~
This is a protein cleaving a DNA strand. I can't remember the specifics of exactly what's happening...I did something like this about 10 years ago for a company called Millenium, so here's my own version.

The entire DNA is made of Softimage ICE particles, with replicators attached in Modo. It looks pretty cool when it's animating.

Even at 45 minutes, it's still a little too grainy for my tastes.

Message edited by adrencg on 1/2/2013 - 9:02 PM

What are your shading rates looking like all the way up the tree?

I really need to lay down the cash on El Yottotron's rendering series since I'm obviously only hacking at this. But... I'm noticing lately having to prefer chunkier shading and AA, else these kind of conspicuous 'ripped up/broken up' grain areas start being introduced. Usually the behavior feels similar to the kind of darkened area and sparkle-grain as in your scattering globules.
Another thing to note on reflection/refraction blur is your environment shading rate, having this at default/1 may not be low enough to get rid of the grain with high AA or blur samples alone. Try lowering this in the shader or master tab...a warning though, this will increase render time, but with a well balanced setting of samples/aa/etc you could be better quality at a faster rendertime, its just going to take some experimenting.

Above is an example of Environment Shading rate differences. The object is refracting, but quality of env shade rate effects refl pretty much the same. The left render is set to 1 (rough/default), the right is set to .1 (highQ). This alone is just refraction, so imagine if this had the default env shade rate of 1, and refract blur, it would take a bit of tweaking.

-----
The second image shows an extreme example of low reflection blur samples (only 5!) but maxed out importance samples, 100, and .01 env shading rate with 1024AA samples. Despite the uber low refl blur samples, the grain is not horrible, but of coarse, this is an extremely unbalanced render quality scenario, but it shows that its not all about high blur samples. It would be nice is shaders had independant env shading rates, not just the norm shading rate over ride.

Message edited by ambassador on 1/3/2013 - 3:56 PM

Thanks for the help with the Env shading rate. I've never messed with that setting yet. I found that the best way to go was to render at 1080p with lower settings on everything, then rescale down to 720p to lose some of the grain. Then I did a light grain removal in AE. The biggest grain fixer was to not use DOf in Modo and just go with a depth matte in AE. It was actually faster to render bigger, than doing the correct res with high settings.

One more helpful thing....I turned the SSS front weighting from 10% up to 30%. I always use a low front weight setting, high SSS amount and super-thin scattering distance. It gives me a darker look with a hot inner-glow. But that also makes the SSS grain more defined, even with outrageous sampling levels. I compromised for this look instead.

Some color adjusts...now I'm starting to like it.

Message edited by adrencg on 1/4/2013 - 9:43 PM

Added a movie clip in the post above. Can anyone tell me why all of my Vimeo uploads come out looking like overcompressed crap? Every codec I try(even the recommended ones) result in an awful looking Vimeo vid.
I've always just compressed using QT7 Pro at h264 then uploaded that. I'm not sure why you're getting such compression issues.

Anyway, I love this stuff and I fully understand both the inability to show your work AND the need to put together something to show off your abilities. If this thread pushes you, then great. Btw, have you seen this contest? I don't usually do the molecular stuff, but clearly you do and what you have posted here look good so maybe that's another something to push you.

Oh, and look for the AMI conference in Salt Lake City this summer. Even if you don't attend, there's a Salon for entering work. If you attend, we'll have to grab a beer and talk shop.
Interesting renders, looking forward to seeing some animation from these.

Keep on going, already looks fab. To crack the grain Issues, which (after looking at Richards Yot's video) is prob down to ray threshold and shading rate...I'm no expert though.

Lee
Great Reel and DNA renders.
looks awesome..

//Peter
Page 1 of 3
   1  2  3  Next  Last