Notice: Purchasing, Trials and Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know: Part II >>

Topic - Modo + Drawing experiments

Page 1 of 2
   1  2  Next  Last 
Hi all.
I really enjoy drawing - I do sort of obsessively detailed drawings that often take very long. I also really enjoy 3D modelling (especially in modo). When I have free time I like to model in a free-form unplanned way, without much regard to any realworld considerations like UVing and polycount and such.

For years now I've wanted to find ways of leveraging CG in my drawing practice, incorporating 3D yet retaining a large degree of hand-drawing and accident in the process.

The images I posted are the beginnings of this experimentation, which I hope will be ongoing. I've found a way to work in modo that's a very similar process to how I draw, which is to build up lots of layers of line work into solid or semi-solid forms. With pen on paper, this is rewarding but often tedious and time-consuming and my output is low.

So I decided to do essentially the same thing in modo, by using line work drawn by hand on a cintiq, made into tiles, and mapped onto models in modo. I did get the NPR kit for modo, but I have yet to try it. Instead I've piled up large stacks of images in the shader set to multiply mode. By offsetting the size and location of the texture locator for each one, I get a result that has hardly any repeating patterns.

Then I render the model at large size to preserve the crispness of the line work. Next step is to take it back to photoshop and draw on the render, using it as a base drawing.

I'm also experimenting here with crazy amounts of detail using instances. In a way, I'm trying to draw when I model, using light and shadow. I want to involve a degree of accident, so I made a small collection of simple models and made them into a replicator array with lots of variation. I froze the replicator into geo and further refined some of the geo. Then instanced chunks of geo and shrunk them to add more detail, and so on...

Moving ahead with it, I may need to find a balance between doing the modelling and doing the final drawing on a render. I could happily spend forever refining and tweaking a model with so much detail there wouldn't be any room left for the drawing.

Ultimately, I'd like end up with digital drawings/paintings that I could print very large.

Thanks for reading!

Here's my drawing website if you're curious: http://www.mathewborrett.com/drawings/

Message edited by Matt Borrett on 1/23/2013 - 9:13 AM

That is a seriously cool image!! Love how completely abstract it is, with hints of the familiar.

Please don't spend forever refining it - I want to see how it turns out!

dodo
Cool concept. I like it!
This is a real cool project. Love the easy Uber-detail.
Now that is cool!
awesome :)
Really dig this. Great job and concepts M@.
Thanks everyone. I'm excited about where this is going, wherever that may be. So far mainly experimenting with technique.

Really amazing vision, Matt.

thanks for the inspiration.

btw: have you played around with tricks in post, rendering out surface ID and surface normal passes? You then take them into post and run a 'find edges' filter on them. It may not be applicable to what you're trying to do, of course. (you can even run a depth path and use it as a mask to clamp out the regions you don't want the line tracing effect).

-m.

Hey M, you're welcome, and thanks for the ideas. I have indeed been trying different things, including occlusion layers and such. I've been warping the geo a bit with the sculpting tools and other randomizing tricks to avoid lines that are relentlessly parallel. I'm planning to start using the NPR kit, since you can add squiggle to the lines with noise. And since my final pass is meant to be freehand drawing, I'm starting to realize that less is more... hard as that may be to reconcile with the dense detail of the model.

Quote from mbaldwin :
Really amazing vision, Matt.

thanks for the inspiration.

btw: have you played around with tricks in post, rendering out surface ID and surface normal passes? You then take them into post and run a 'find edges' filter on them. It may not be applicable to what you're trying to do, of course. (you can even run a depth path and use it as a mask to clamp out the regions you don't want the line tracing effect).

-m.

Great images!
I love those detailed and rough images.
Have You tried to use camera mapping?
I think that could be useful for what you are doing and you would have very good control of where your line drawings will appear.

/peter

Edit:
Lovely drawings in your portfolio :)
http://www.mathewborrett.com/drawings/

Message edited by Peter Eriksson on 12/23/2012 - 5:10 AM

Cool experiment. Thanks for posting some of your techniques.
I do not know why but I like it.. :)

/Peter
Wow, very inspiring!
Thanks man.. thanks for the inspiration and showing us MODO is also a great software for just PLAYING AND HAVE FUN...

congrats for this experiment...

cheers..
Cool. Steampunk Star Destroyer.
Quote from Initiative :
Thanks man.. thanks for the inspiration and showing us MODO is also a great software for just PLAYING AND HAVE FUN...

Well you know what they say bout all work and no play!

Here's a detail from the latest in-progress experiment (began as simple geo in modo, eroded in 3Dcoat, and drawn up in photoshop:

Message edited by Matt Borrett on 1/23/2013 - 10:03 AM

Great to see Matt! Amazing work so far. Have always loved your 3d work and drawings. Subscribed and inspired.

-Rob
I just went on your website and really enjoyed/loved your illustrations.
Congrats!
Fantastic Work Matt!
Fascinating creative work, inspiring.
Thanks for the comments everyone!

This was the raw render from modo:

And the strangeness it's acquired so far in photoshop:

Excellent !
I also really like that kind of art, I like the fact that it looks different. Here is an image I did during the 601 cycle. Fur and cel edges with some GI.
Quote from Gregory Duquesne :
Excellent !
I also really like that kind of art, I like the fact that it looks different. Here is an image I did during the 601 cycle. Fur and cel edges with some GI.

I'm digging the noodles. I've barely scratched the surface of the potential of modo fur, and this image makes me want to.
I put aside the initial "steam-punk star destroyer thingy" for now in favour of something more manageable. This one started with the usual doodling in modo - rendered with lots of layers of squiggly line-work. I started drawing on it in photoshop, but then I switched to Manga Studio 5 after I realized how great its pens are. I switched frequently back to photoshop occasionally for the things it excels at.

Ray GL render:

Raw Render with dense tiling linework for texture:

Final Drawing, which was printed at 13"x19":

Detail at almost 100%:

Message edited by Matt Borrett on 2/19/2013 - 11:00 AM

Page 1 of 2
   1  2  Next  Last