Notice: Community Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know >>

Topic - Barber Pole logo

A logo I am working on for my Barber, Dave. I have also animated this with the striped tube rotating - just for fun.

I put together a couple mocked up logo comps - definitely more 50's - styled than my very rough sketch. This
'aged graphics' look may look good on T-Shirts.

(Modo and Photoshop)

I like the style, but I'd suggest loosening up the shapes of the wording in Adobe Illustrator to give it that hand-painted feeling.
Quote from Sideways Design :
I like the style, but I'd suggest loosening up the shapes of the wording in Adobe Illustrator to give it that hand-painted feeling.

Thanks man. Good call. As these are early design comps I just set the lettering quickly, but will work more on them!
Please update this post, I really like the direction so far! Great job!
Quote from koots :
Please update this post, I really like the direction so far! Great job!

Sorry koots, but this wasn't real high on my priority list last week; and my client was away on vacation.

I have however done up a complete 3D version (less the address text which will be mapped onto the rectangular shape bottom right). I used the earlier logo version as a background image to build my modelled text and banner over. I think I still prefer the truer, grittier version with the flat printed graphics combined with 3D rendered barber pole.

The banner and the rectangular 'panel' are UV mapped. The banner already wears displaced type - which I may displace a little further.

I love the retro feel of so much of your work.

Could we see the render with the pole more in the proportion of your second set of mockups, where it's larger and projects above and below the type elements? - it just seems a little overpowered in the latest version.

Mark
Quote from Mark The Indolent :
I love the retro feel of so much of your work.

Could we see the render with the pole more in the proportion of your second set of mockups, where it's larger and projects above and below the type elements? - it just seems a little overpowered in the latest version.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I hadn't noticed the scale change in the pole, but knew something was lacking!
I will rearrange things a bit to give the pole more prominence.
Wow!

This is tripping me out. I wish there were a tutorial on doing something like this from start to finish.

I have a background that I am working on that has this same item but I stop working on it cause I could not figure out how to get the design around the pole to animate it going round and round.

Cheers
Quote from Savnac :
Wow!

This is tripping me out. I wish there were a tutorial on doing something like this from start to finish.

I have a background that I am working on that has this same item but I stop working on it cause I could not figure out how to get the design around the pole to animate it going round and round.

Cheers

I will provide a simple tute Savnac.
I've a few things to take care of today but will work out the tutorial this evening.

I started with the texture for the stripes - basically a square image with horizontal stripes.
Then I built the tube to apply the texture to. A cylinder with no end caps.
I created a UV map for the tube, then selected an edgeloop running from top to bottom.
In the UV Tools I selected UnWrap and clicked in the UV window to unwrap the map into a rectangle.
I applied the texture and then resized and rotated the UV MAP polys till the stripes were angled AND met up on the seam ON THE MODEL.
Then it was a simple matter to animate the rotation of the cylinder.

I WILL produce a little tute with more detail later on. Maybe that description will get you started though.
Thank and I hope this will not back you up on other things more important.

Again Thanks :)
You are welcome Savnac.
I have indeed been busy - but I put together this little pdf tute.
(I thought I had software to do a video tutorial, but I haven't done one before and can't figure it out yet)

I hope this helps - let me know if there are any obvious errors or omissions.

PDF Barber Pole Tutorial - 1.2MB download

cheers, Dasch

Note that I also loaded jpeg versions of the PDF pages to the Gallery for this Thread.
Thanks A Bunch Dale-

I will take a look at this right now.

Thanks again,

Cheers
Quote from Savnac :
Thanks A Bunch Dale-

I will take a look at this right now.

Thanks again,

Cheers

You are welcome, man.
Let me know how it goes - if the tutorial actually helps!
Nice tutorial, job well done, so clear even I couldn't get lost :)
Quote from Dale Schulz aka Dasch :
I put together a couple mocked up logo comps - definitely more 50's - styled than my very rough sketch. This
'aged graphics' look may look good on T-Shirts.

(Modo and Photoshop)

Hello Dale, would you mind telling us how you achieved this washed out look? Thanks
Quote from Charbel Nicolas :

Hello Dale, would you mind telling us how you achieved this washed out look? Thanks

Hi Charbel.
I place a white layer over my artwork (in Photoshop), and mask it with an image that looks a bit like this: