Notice: Purchasing, Trials and Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know: Part II >>

Topic - Rigging Test: Dragon Wing

Hey guys!

I had some spare time today, so I thought I'd try out another rigging test that's been bouncing around my head for the last few weeks; a dragon wing designed for use on a robotic dragon.

Let me know what you think, any comments, critiscms, thoughts are more than welcome. :)

Thanks for looking.
-Matt
Very clever. I take it that is using vertex maps to deform the shape?
Yep.

Although, the shape isn't regular geommetry, it's a patch created from curves. So the vertex map changes the shape of the curves and then modo works out what to do with the geommetry.

It has the downside that modo crashes when I try to UV unwrap it (and the magic is lost if I freeze the patch), but it's a lot easier to setup the weights - because there is only like twelve vertices per segment and they can be 100% weighted to a couple of vertex deformers - this means that I don't have to worry about the issues caused with blending weights, Modo sorts out the smoothing for me. :)

Cheers.
-Matt

Message edited by Matt Cox on 9/1/2011 - 1:13 AM

Even cleverer than I thought! :)

Brilliant!
This is AWESOME!

Quote from Matt Cox :
Yep.

Although, the shape isn't regular geommetry, it's a patch created from curves. So the vertex map changes the shape of the curves and then modo works out what to do with the geommetry.
-Matt

Can you explain this some more? I was under the impression that converting a patch to geometry was a one-way street. So how can the curve be reshaped and have it affect the geo?

Message edited by Tim.Crowson on 9/1/2011 - 7:27 PM

Yeah, super Awesome Matt! I too would love to know how you're deforming the geo...
Great work! I hope lux is employing you to do some tuts for 601...
Quote from StuManFu :
Even cleverer than I thought! :)

Cheers Stu. I'd like to think it was a big clever plan with lots of thought and planning, but it was more like "I wonder if that would work?" Then I was surprised when it did work. :P

Quote from CCM3 :
Brilliant!

Cheers Dude.

Quote from Tim.Crowson :
This is AWESOME!

Can you explain this some more? I was under the impression that converting a patch to geometry was a one-way street. So how can the curve be reshaped and have it affect the geo?

Thanks! Yep, I'm going to do a break down when I get a chance. I'm a bit busy today, but hopefully try and put something together over the weekend.

Quote from Monkeez :
Yeah, super Awesome Matt! I too would love to know how you're deforming the geo...
Great work! I hope lux is employing you to do some tuts for 601...

Cheers! I don't know about tutorials for 601, I'd just like to play with 601. :P

Thanks again for looking guys, I'll do my best to put a how to together sometime this weekend. I'm knee deep in operating system reinstalls at the moment, but when this is all done, I'll give it a go. :)

-Matt
Rats! :)
As much as I was completely engrossed into your video there and fully loving it all, I found myself screaming and yelling at the thing, saying, NOOOOO don't stop it yet!!!
Noooo, you haven't really gotten into how the living flip did you make the actual wings, which, since there wasn't anything there in polygon wire shade mode so you could make out what was going on, I had to assume that some how you were using some kind of a spline or something, which it sounds like that is what you did, judging from your short comments above, but I really would of loved to have seen a bit more on just how you went about setting up the actual mesh, the object, the 'what ever?' to let us know how the structure of the wings were built as well as the actual stretchy parts of the wings?
I loved what you showed us specially since I wasn't even aware that modo had any sort of animation tools to use that were as good as that rig was, I meaning, something other then keyframe here, move slider to new frame keyframe there, kind of animation setting ups?
LOL sorry, I just wasn't aware that much could be done in modo already?

I am currently using LW Layout v10.1 for my animation for rigging and testing and later doing animations all in, but if modo can do some more cool tricks like what I just witnessed here, then I may have to rethink some of which programs we (the main designer and myself, the main modeler and rigging guy) will use?
He's the main story telling (designer) and character designer/creator and I do all the fun stuff that he has no clue how to do ;)

Anyway, love your vid, and I hope to see another one that concentrates more on what I've mentioned here?

thanx and keep it up!...................md :)

Did you ever find a solution to the UV crash problem?