I've been running a new series of experiments
to help me zero in on the true shape, and proportions of the original model, with the available evidence we have at present. I've decided to include these in this work-in-progress report, in case the technique might be of interest to anyone doing this sort of reconstruction project.
Essentially, It is a comparison of all the photos of the Original Studio Model (OSM
), with the models I am building. Since none of my test models have textures yet, I've started with the model by B.J. West
, to which I have only done a minimal amount of desecration:
First of all, While I will be modeling Orion in true scale to the actual ship, if it existed, that is, 175 feet long, The OSM was I am told, 36" long, not counting the probes. And since the photographs are of that sized model, and I'll want to reproduce the actual camera settings in modo, lens focal length, camera type, distance to the model, angle of direction etc., I scaled BJW's model down to 3 feet. To do so, I chopped off the probes. Then what was left didn't have the same shape as the OSM so I did a little remodeling at the tail to bring it to a point. I wasn't trying for any major degree of accuracy with that, just something to get started with while I work out the technique.
I don't know why BJW chose the size he did for modeling Orion, but his model is 2636', 11" long; 1253', 11" wide wing tip to wing tip; and, 275', 7.35" Tall. That's with the probes still on it! So, my version had to be, as a fraction 1/878 (+/-) the size of his, or 2636 to 3. Very tiny!
Now, I was going to use Absolute Scale
, or Scale Absolute
, however they call it, but when I looked it up in the old and disreputable documentation, it was no straight forward method that I could grasp intuitively, as they like to describe modo, and I was in too much of a rush to start yet another side project of experiments to figure out what they were talking about, so I did it the old fashioned way, with percentage formula. I did it in two stages. I scaled it down to about 26' and used my formula from there. Even so, I didn't get it to exactly 36", I got 36.0004". Must be to the closest pixel or something.
OK, so from there I popped in a Backdrop Item, loaded the image DT-01A.jpg; that is, this one:
I set it to Camera Projection, and I set my render size to the same dimensions as the photo. I've written to Douglas Trumbull about the camera data for three images, but in the mean time, I started playing with poses and settings.
Close, but no cigar, by Layer three. Here you see layer 3 at 50% opacity, with the image above showing through. Actually, this is my second attempt at running this experiment. Here's a little background on my struggle with this idea:
At the time I started this thread, I considered myself a beginning Intermediate Level modonaut
, as opposed to a rank Newbie
, which is how I came to view myself after a very short time wrestling with the complexities of this task. This project is completely different than anything else I'd tried with modo, and required, in many cases, learning things I had never attempted. A case in point: With all the thousands of renders I have done from the beginning of my introduction of modo and things 3D, I had never really learned how to use the Camera, or even looked at it's Properties.
Not only that, historically, I've only been a dabbler with cameras and photography. Oh sure, I knew more than most people first getting into 3D, but that was only because my best friend of many years was a photographer and I was around it a lot, played in a darkroom, read about cameras and photography, used his camera to try things, just out of amateur curiosity. I'd never owned my own 35mm camera, nor did a first hand study of the various lens's I'd played with. I knew a little about many things photographic, but not a lot about any of it.
I knew about perspective distortion because I'm a draftsman, or was in an earlier life, 35 years ago, the pen and ink variety. And I'm an artist in the greater context, and have been drawing all my life. OK, so I was a dabbler who had forgotten more than I ever knew about all this when I started this project.
So, when I started this series of experiments, I did have some knowledge of perspective distortion and Lens Distortion, but it was the difference between having read about a subject, vs many days of experimentation with a slow and painful education in it.
As posts are limited to how many characters may be used, I'll start a new one to continue.
Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 3/14/2011 - 5:15 PM