Notice: Purchasing, Trials and Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know: Part II >>

Topic - Orion Space Plane: 2001 A Space Odyssey

Page 2 of 11
First  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last 
OMG! Imagine me being speechless! _________________________________________________________________This page is so wide, you'll have to use the scroolbar to navigate to the right side!!! Sorry about that.

OK, let me start over. Welcome lunadude!

And, thanks for the data. Damn! An actual photo of the original model! I was beginning to wonder if any existed.

Next thing I know, someone will post the app I have been imagining, one that can be imported into modo, a photo model of the stars as seen from earth, in concentric spheres by distance, that you can zoom out through for virtual space travel.....

43 years later, and I feel like I'm re-Discovering (pun intended) 2001 A Space Odyssey. Only, most of this data is completely new to me. I really am in shock.

Lunadude, you are a gold mine for Luxology and all the modonauts! Your site was a wonder to discover but this is over the top. My thanks again to Mike James modo for getting our adventure started. My little WIP has become a new 2001 Asset Sharing thread. I can picture your site filling up with models created in modo, and the whole world having access to these wonderful details. Who knows what genius this will inspire! 2001 was the monolith, not the big black rectangular solid, that started us on our rebirth as starchildren.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, I guess I got my speech back.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 2/7/2011 - 9:35 PM

Here's the biggest and clearest image I've found so far of the starboard side of the original model. Photograph by Douglas Trumbull. I've cropped (Edit: I have only cropped out black sky to shrink the overall size of the image, not reducing the resolution of the image)and rotated it to fit on this page. I rotated it 90 degrees counterclockwise, so you can rotate it back if you like.

Enjoy!

Edit: Notice the rounded corners on the Passenger viewport frames. (Among other things.)

Edit 2010.15.12 : I have received an even larger version of this image, a scan of a printed version, @ 800 ppi. I'll post it on page 4 of this wip. For clarity sake, The above image is a cropped and rotated version of "Original studio model test shot.jpg", the new one I'm adding has the word 'print' added to that title. After 6 weeks into this project, I'm having to reorganize my photo collection, and project files in general, as the photo names have become confusing. Where possible, I'll pass this information on to you.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 2/7/2011 - 9:41 PM

• BRAZIL / São Paulo
  • 768 posts
The stars pictures in this link: http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/

Message edited by gelmi on 10/7/2010 - 6:12 PM

Albedo 0.39

Back in the day, there was a piece of music and an album of the same name, by Vangelis O, that partook of the mystery & magic of 2001 A Space Odyssey. See for yourself:

Albedo 0.39

Brad: You ought to use Spiral in your modcast, it fits the logo so well.

I was thinking about lighting my scene in a way they didn't think of in the film. Actually, I was thinking of the scene below, looking at the earth and thinking of using it to light my scene, when Albedo 0.39 sprung to mind. For those who don't know it, albedo is the amount of light reflected from an object, relative to the amount of light shining on it. The earths albedo is 0.39. In the movie, they used a matte painting of the earth and stars, and shined a light on it. I propose to use the same painting (or a reasonable facsimile), but on a luminous panel, and let it light up Orion and the Station from the opposing side to the sun.

I'm wondering how to set this up in modo and calculate the amounts. Does modo know albedo? The Station is 322.42 miles from earth, at the closest point. Hmmmmm.

Another thing: I did a test light setting, setting the Directional Light to Physical sun, but my reference model was an ugly yellow color. Bagh Humbug! Physical Sun is relative to light on earth and time of day, irrelevant to light/location in space.

There's an ideal solution to this in modo I'm sure. One of you math genius modonauts ought to know this one.

Meandering thoughts....
A Rose By Any Other Name
Vangelis O. That "O", is the initial of his last name, an almost unpronounceable Greek name. For us, it was never just Vangelis, it was always Vangelis O. That sound pattern stuck in my mind, that "Oh" on the end. When I was thinking of a name for my 3D commercial art activities, mulling over variations, one day I was organizing folders on my computer, particularly, one for my art...I started with "Art", but then qualified that with "Leon Art". Leon Art LeonArt LeonArtO LEONARTO! Leonardo Da Vinci...( my childhood hero, the one I wanted to be like). If that "O" was an abbreviation, what was it an abbreviation of? What do I do? I transform the products of my imagination into objective reality. They are Objectivizations. So, when I bought modo and joined the 3D community, I became LeonArtO3D. Ah, the memories, 2nd floor Victorian, overlooking St. Charles Avenue, shrouded by a canopy of giant oaks, a few blocks from Tulane & Loyola. Listening to Pink Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues, and Vangelis O.

Quote from gelmi :
The stars pictures in this link: http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/

Thanks Gelmi, these are some of my favorite space pictures. I'll use them somewhere, for sure. Chuck C will be along shortly with a tutorial on lighting these up.

Edit: I was never satisfied by the lightshow version in the movie, compared with what I was led to expect from the book, with the spaceship graveyards and space cities. If it were done today, it would be much more... Some of it was great, but it could have been so much better. One of you gamers ought to be able to come up with some scenes to fly through to boggle the mind. Just remember, the star people are watching, and will blink your weapons out of existence.

Oh yes, this is kind of important for me. One major thing missing from the original model of Orion and the space station are navigation warning lights, landing lights and such. I believe I see some places for them on wing tips, but they were not lit up. I want mine to have working lights.

I live near enough to the airport to have lots of planes coming in for landing in my night sky. For a long time I've thought of modeling a plane with lights and animating the plane coming in across the horizon to land where all you see of the plane are the lights and what they shine on. I need some resources for aircraft lights.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 2/7/2011 - 9:55 PM

I got these images from my copy of Filming the Future. Sorry about the cropping, I couldn't fit the whole thing in the scanner.
2001 has been one of my all time favorite movies for nearly as long as I can remember. My dad took me to see it when I was 5 and I haven't been the same since.

Message edited by B_D on 10/9/2010 - 8:59 PM

I've invited both B.J. West and Martin Bower to join us here. Hopefully, they can point us toward some reference material we have never seen.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling through aligning vertices against an unsymmetrical reference model, with nothing but my eyeball to determine accurate placement. Tough love.

My research on aircraft lights is going well. I have copious notes already. I can picture Orion in my mind, twinkling through space, lighting up Station V as she approaches.

Damn B_D! That's more like it! All I had were the little versions of these from Simon Atkinson's website. Thanks a lot! I was typing this while you were posting yours. This goes a long way to help solve the problems. You might do a scan of the tail and I can splice it together in Photoshop, and make some backdrop Items.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 10/19/2010 - 2:25 PM

Wow. I haven't given this model much thought in many years, I must say that I'm quite flattered that it's getting such intense -- and brutally honest -- scrutiny!

Thanks for inviting me to this forum, Leon!

I have to start right off by apologising to everyone for suffocating Dr. Floyd by before he even got to the station, cutting the movie tragically short. No wonder he looked completely different in the sequel!

In my own defense, I have to point out that I made that model of the Orion III in 1999, on a small laptop that was old even for the time. It was a project I used to keep myself awake on the hour-long train ride to and from my job at Maxis, where I was creating art assets for TheSims.

Given the computer power (or lack thereof), the resolution of the monitor I was working with (ditto), the fact that I was half-awake, under-caffinated and working without a mouse, in a moving vehicle, I'm kind of surprised that the ship was as airtight as she was!

I can't really help much in the way of reference material. I worked from the same "Filming The Future" drawings that B_D posted. I traced them with the path tool in Photoshop, then exported the tracings as Illustrator .ai files, which import nicely into 3D Studio Max.

If I were doing a new model today, I wouldn't mess around with trying to up-res the old mesh, I'd start over from scratch. My whole approach to modeling is different now, and I'd want to actually model all the panel lines instead of putting them in with bump maps. Likewise the Pan Am markings.

I look forward to watching your progress!
B.J. West
Quote from Astrobeej :
Wow. I haven't given this model much thought in many years, I must say that I'm quite flattered that it's getting such intense -- and brutally honest -- scrutiny!

Thanks for inviting me to this forum, Leon!

I have to start right off by apologising to everyone for suffocating Dr. Floyd by before he even got to the station, cutting the movie tragically short. No wonder he looked completely different in the sequel!

In my own defense, I have to point out that I made that model of the Orion III in 1999, on a small laptop that was old even for the time. It was a project I used to keep myself awake on the hour-long train ride to and from my job at Maxis, where I was creating art assets for TheSims.

Given the computer power (or lack thereof), the resolution of the monitor I was working with (ditto), the fact that I was half-awake, under-caffinated and working without a mouse, in a moving vehicle, I'm kind of surprised that the ship was as airtight as she was!

I can't really help much in the way of reference material. I worked from the same "Filming The Future" drawings that B_D posted. I traced them with the path tool in Photoshop, then exported the tracings as Illustrator .ai files, which import nicely into 3D Studio Max.

If I were doing a new model today, I wouldn't mess around with trying to up-res the old mesh, I'd start over from scratch. My whole approach to modeling is different now, and I'd want to actually model all the panel lines instead of putting them in with bump maps. Likewise the Pan Am markings.

I look forward to watching your progress!
B.J. West

BJ! Thanks for the quick response, and for confirming my own concept for how to proceed from these drawings. Just wish there were a front and back view. And thanks for taking my tongue-in-cheek humor with a grain of salt. It was indeed a spectacular job you did on that model. The flaws don't show in any of the normal renders. It's actually fun pushing these verts around. Once I get them set, I'll weld the whole thing together, and begin modeling the details, rounding the window frames, building the bridge (Cockpit) and interior models.

Do you play with modo yet? Welcome to Luxology.

When I get this done, not only will I post the model, but I will post orthographic views for other modelers who want to take it even further. It'll be here and on B.J. West/Lunadude's site, maybe the first modo model over there, if I'm faster than all you other modonauts. I do hope anyone else building this model will post them here and/or leave the links to your own WIP if you want to start your own thread. Please don't hesitate because you imagine it would hurt my feelings. I'd be thrilled!

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 12/3/2010 - 5:22 PM

I'm glad those scans help. Unfortunately the tail is missing because it's in the spine of the book and I can't quite bring myself to tear the pages out to get a proper scan. Not that I didn't give it a lot of thought. In fact, I'm still mulling it over.
There area some decent shots of the space station in there as well and will be hitting the scanner very soon.
Quote from B_D :
I'm glad those scans help. Unfortunately the tail is missing because it's in the spine of the book and I can't quite bring myself to tear the pages out to get a proper scan. Not that I didn't give it a lot of thought. In fact, I'm still mulling it over.
There area some decent shots of the space station in there as well and will be hitting the scanner very soon.

Hey B_D,

Funny, I have a scan of that tail view (including the probes) at a lower resolution that yours, so it's fuzzy, but it is almost exactly the same size, just a hair smaller and tilted at a slight angle. If necessary, I can adjust this angle and scale and patch them together. I plan on buying that book as soon as humanly possible, but this month I couldn't even squeeze out enough to buy a membership at the 2001 Exhibit. I'd scan it at maybe 1200 ppi, then take it into Photoshop and use the path tool, as B.J. West suggested. Then with that, I will fine tune my model.

I have had to start my model over from scratch, as some of my steps were out of order in the process I'm using for lack of blue prints. But then, in the cockpit area, I noticed a difference it between my reference model, and what I could see of the same area in Douglas Trumbull's photo of the original model. While the two views we have show part of that area, viewing it from behind somewhat, I have no front view with any detail. However, I will have in a couple of days. There were design changes during the modeling process. I assume these drawings we have by Simon Atkins were made of the first design, and subsequently used to model B.J.'s model.

I'm hoping for a detailed view of the bottom of the ship of which we have nothing suitable for modeling.

There is a book in the works with loads of reference material, but I don't have details yet on an expected release date. (See below Re: David D. Larson)

Currently, i am working on the passenger view port area, which also has considerable differences between the reference model and the photos of the original. I can make out that the vertical braces are S-curved and rounded, along the face edge, and spaced slightly different. The upper corners of the outer frame are rounded, and i can't quite make out what that round shape is up in the forward corner, though there is enough detail to fake it fairly well. I hate fakes and approximations.

Generally, I am using B.J.'s model as the starting guide, and remodeling that for the basic shape and proportions. From there, I will add such detail as is symmetrical, such as navigation lights at the wing tips, etc. Once that is complete and symmetrical, I can turn symmetry off and begin to do intricate remodeling of the actual panels, and such details that are not the same on each side of the ship, such as the hatch on the starboard side.

Hopefully, by the time I am ready to start adding texture and doing the UV work, we'll have enough detail images of the original to do it right. I'd like details of every graphic on the ship, including all those tiny red smears of color you see in these views that you just know are names or warning notices. The more I look, the more I see of these things.

I must say, this is the most difficult type of project I have imagined. So much more difficult than designing the ship myself.

Just found this interesting link:
Douglas Trumbull Documentary on 2001

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 10/19/2010 - 2:29 PM

Rounded Corners

Not much to show for all the work, just to get up to the point I could do this, but Oh, so satisfying to get rid of those pointy view port frames. They've been bugging me since I first noticed 'em. And now the windows base geometry is done and I can start on the next phase.

I must say that B.J. West is one Hell of a modeler. It's all well and good for me to bitch about a few flaws that you have to squint one eye to find, but for every one of those, there are 50 or so, excellent examples of fine clean geometry. I have not found a single artifact, or wonky poly, out of all the various renders I've taped up around the studio. Considering what he had to work with, he deserves a lot of credit, Well done, Master Modeler. You only have to check out his site to see his quality.
Here's the latest version of my model, all new today, complete with the cutout blocks I'll use to cut the window frames through the hull/interior wall. The blocks are green for starboard and red for port.

I found it impossible to accurately position the verts in the window area, as the reference model had a different design, and that design interrupted the contours of the basic hull shape, leaving me with a hole in my reference information.

So, I made my own drawings oh the hull (without windows), then modeled the starboard side of the fuselage accordingly. Additionally, I have been wanting to complete the fuselage symmetrically, so I finally tackled that job, mirroring my remodeling, and this is the result. As you can see, the cockpit area is still undefined, and the basic hull has not been perfected. I went over it roughly and it is the best revision so far, with the new geometry, but there is still much work to do. My Scanner is on the fritz, so I'm working around that glitch in my workflow. With symmetry under my belt, and the window area finally beginning to look right, and now capable of achieving perfection, I am very pleased with the results.

Once I do perfect the contours of the hull, near the borders of this part. I will add the geometry to sub D it, and fine tune everything before freezing it. The best aspect of this current work, is that from here, I can go in any number of different directions, shelving anything I'm stumped on and continuing with some other aspect, while my subconscious works over the problem.

She looks so much better now!

Correction: Now she looks better! I had my colors reversed till now. Ive fixed it:

But I've started fiddling with the cockpit area and have some incomplete geometry as yet, thus the shading errors you see.

Sorry about that.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 10/17/2010 - 5:41 AM

Looking good! Looking forward to all the progress.

MODO, and the modo community ROCKS!
Visit www.mikejamesmedia.com

Quote from Mike James modo :
Looking good! Looking forward to all the progress.

Thanks Mike. High praise, coming from you. I'm not in your class by any means, but I know how you feel when you can't find reference material for a project. Actually, in my case, I'm just impatient to make some progress and started modeling before I really got any good photos of the original model. But they started coming in and I'm getting a nice collection now. There's even a chance I'll get some from MGM but if so, I won't be able to post them here, only work from them. That's cool though.

I'm working on the cockpit now, and thought I'd post some of my thoughts and observations. Here is a snapshot from the movie of the interior of the cockpit, shot with a wide angle lens. Notice how squashed the pilots are.

This interior set is fully integrated with the exterior model of the ship, and I wanted to see it as it would normally appear. So I took this image into Photoshop and stretched it till the pilots heads resemble fairly normal proportions:

Normally, I wouldn't post an image this big, simply because I hate having to scroll the page back and forth to read it, but since this page is already wider than my screen, I decided to post it anyway. With this, I will be able to judge the actual size of the cockpit so I can model it. I want to be able to see it through the forward viewports....Sounds silly to call it a windshield out in space. Course, I intend to fly this baby around in the atmosphere quite a bit. I'm already thinking of doing a render like McDermott's book cover. Maybe I'll even make one with the Luxology logo on the engine housing.

Anyway, I'm making sketches of various features to get them nailed down. The exterior is coming along nicely. There's a feature that's kind of hard to make out, but after puzzling over hundreds of images, I keep seeing this same pattern in many other models from the movie in scenes that show a viewport. Take a look behind poor Dr. Floyd on the previous page, at the partition beside the viewport. There's a quarter round ring with holes along it's side. This is a track that guides a shield to cover the viewport from dangerous radiation, or high winds when moving through atmosphere. They have much larger ones on the space station too. I noticed that they are on the forward viewports also, and slide down just over the glass, like a roll top desk, or a huricane shutter. I'm modeling that so I can animate it opening and closing.

That's it for now, Folks! OK, Hal, open the pod bay doors damnit!

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 2/7/2011 - 10:50 PM

I ran the Lens Correction Filter on this shot of the cockpit. You can see where the pixels are repeated around the edges but the rest of it seems make a difference. I hope this helps.

B_D.
Quote from B_D :
I ran the Lens Correction Filter on this shot of the cockpit. You can see where the pixels are repeated around the edges but the rest of it seems make a difference. I hope this helps.

B_D.

Great! Thanks B_D. I wanted to do that but didn't know that tool was in there. It's been a long time since I spent an hour studying Photoshop, and I mean years. Time I took a refresher course. And you're right, this is much better. Merely stretching in one direction doesn't get it, besides, I had no absolute point to stop the stretch, except what looks about right.

Now, for some views from the opposite direction, and the model associated with the set.

Notice in the top view, the two braces: quarter round, white outside with a gray inside ring. This is the track for the radiation shield/shutter I spoke of earlier. I'll dig up the other reference images I have and crop the area in question and add them to this collection here, in an edit.

Oh, and before you ask, I'm not sure where these images came from. I didn't start keeping exact notes on that till I had quite a pile of them, so if you are the one who supplied one of these images, let me know if you want credits mentioned here.

Here's an excellent view of those details in the windows. They are the same on the windshield up front.

A small crop from the Dr Floyd image on the previous page:

Here's the same design, but on the widows of Space Station 5:

That's it for now, Space Cadets.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 2/8/2011 - 12:14 AM

One small but heavy note. I respect the individual property rights of my fellow man, including, by extension, those subsumed under corporations. I've been entrusted with material, which I am not at liberty to hand out to the general public (that's you). I can and will use these to model with and which may be extrapolated, if you are cleaver enough to pick them out of my model. That is completely OK. It is not the design details which are guarded here. As my model will be freely available when completed, you are all free to use them as you like, and I hope for your sake, you are able to make giga-buck$ off them.

Any material I post here is in the public domain, but I will not post classified information, nor my sources for such material. So, if I indicate that this is the case, don't ask.

The reverse implication is also true. If you have classified material you would like to share on these limited terms, I will protect your property and identity.

LeonArtO3D

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 10/17/2010 - 5:45 AM

There are occasions when I wish I had a time machine, I mean other than the background constant. This is such an occasion.

If you watched the Douglas Trumbull video for his upcoming Documentary on 2001: A Space Odyssey (http://douglastrumbull.com/videos), then you've heard about David Larson.

What you may not know is, he is writing a book detailing the history of the movie. (Maybe it is a companion to the documentary, I don't know) While it is still in production, a little information has trickled out, and that little is huge! First of all, it's not expected to be out for a year, p'haps 18 months. Second, the book will have the largest collection of detailed images of every vehicle, set, prop, process, and model ever to have existed. Third, the book is reputed to be a very large (approx 11" X 17") coffee table volume, and 500 pages thick (Wes McDermott's 'Real World modo' boasts 330 pages)! It seems DDL is the premier 2001 historian. And I started my project a year too soon. You see why I want a time machine?

So, I guess we can call this one Phase 1, which will let me exercise and test my modo/modeling skills, so I'll be ready when the real resource gold mine comes out. Run Dave Run!

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 2/1/2011 - 7:24 PM

Orion Cockpit Set Exterior Detail

Here is a real prize! Once again, the long hours of research (and advertising) has paid off. This time from an anonymous source, who is following this thread, and not a modo owner, but has the spirit of a real modonaut. Well, Anon, WELCOME and THANK YOU, for this marvelous image, and the OK to post it here.

I'll post it full sized so you can download it, as is.

Details: The exterior of the Orion Cockpit set while filming and shows the window surrounds pretty well, taken with a standard lens. You'll be able to get an appreciation for the proportion of the window area with this image. You'll notice there are rectangular details on the inner surface of the window frames. Also, the rectangular board on the top center of the middle window is a scrim so that projected light from the 16mm projectors projecting the top monitor readouts doesn't get into the rest of the shot. This was done on all the readout monitors. The shot will also give you a idea of the coloration of the set. Enjoy!

Incredible! It does indeed make modeling the cockpit area a lot easier, or even possible. This is one I'll be studying, and still finding new things weeks and months from now. I'm overwhelmed by your generosity.

Looks like modoman is going to space.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 2/7/2011 - 11:44 PM

To Chuck C:

Are the stars out tonight?

I can't tell if it's cloudy or bright,

'Cause we only have eyes for you, Dear.

LOL. Not trying to rush you....just wanted to say, 'Hi!'
I have located an old notice of a sale on ebay of the original studio blueprints of the set of the cockpit. This notice had 4 very small images (see below), photographed at an angle & too small to read clearly, but with enough detail for a talented artist to reproduce, especially with the photos our friends and benefactors have donated. If you are the lucky stiff who bought this blueprint, how about scanning it full sized and posting it here, or at least a link to the file....psd would be fine. LOL!

Ian Walsh is an artist-modelmaker, who details his calculations for modeling the cockpit in a physical model of the space plane:

http://www.planet3earth.co.uk/

Welcome Ian Walsh. Enjoy! But I must warn you in advance, looking around in these forums tends to give people a serious addiction to modo, especially a model maker like yourself.

Ian sent me another small image of this blueprint, but shot more or less straight on, with his own notations he worked out to size it for scaling. It's from the book 'Filming the Future' by Piers Bizony pg. 109 (the first edition). I assume it is full sized, though the blueprints were 36" X 42".

I intend to buy the alternate set of drawings, advertised as 'blueprints', but I don't expect much, judging from the cover pictures:

I've written and asked for a sample of the actual blueprints.
Edit: I got back a response: There are no actual blueprints, only some badly distorted representative sketches, ie., guess's. Too bad.

Also, I've found a good book for just this kind of project, titled, Model Design & Blueprinting Handbook, at $34. +. This sounds like an excellent text on working from a few inadequate images. With all the images we have, it ought to be a breeze.

http://modelersnotebook.com/MDBH1-main.html

I did quite a bit of architectural drafting back in the day, with pen and ink, and need a refresher course. This is reputed to be that and more, much more. Read the preface and intro for yourself if you're interested.

Damn! 1765 views, and I've barely started.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 2/8/2011 - 12:08 AM

Just saw this fly over and grabbed my camera. Must be experimental as it's in primer gray. LOL. Hey, pointy bits! That's roughly what I want back there, but the engine cowling has given me so much trouble, I started redoing the Atkinson drawings.

I have not 'cracked the books', of my Photoshop Help files since I got modo 103, and I did very little with paths anyway, so now I'm having to dig out the textbooks. This is good! Hell of a challenge. I have this much squared away:

I had to do some scaling to match image to image, plus rotate the top view 180 degrees. I also tacked on the tail section and there is a distortion in either or both images, which I integrated as best I can. I have tried to contact Simon Atkinson but so far have heard nothing. I hope there are unpainted original drawings, full sized, still available.

However, I plan to draw my own from accumulated images of the original model, and all the wealth of information I'm gathering. I am a fanatic for accurate scale and detail, just like the best of you, modonauts or not. I may have to wait for the BOOK for the final answer, but there is no help for that. I've done several searches for David Larson, but he does not have his own site. I suppose he does not wish to be pestered by a bunch of modelers, for which I can't blame him. If the information I've gleaned, is accurate, that BOOK will be the final word on 2001: A Space Odyssey. That is, along with Mr. Douglas' Documentary. I expect that both of these gentlmen are overwhelmingly busy with their own projects.

Then there is the HAL 9000 Screensaver, the new one. Pretty friggin' cool! I don't usually use a screensaver, but this is cool enough to keep. They look just like HAL's monitors, except mine's wide screen. Now if I could just figure out how to capture it, then use it four times behind a matte painting of HAL's cabinetry.....Get it and try it. It's fun, for awhile anyway.

Edit: Hey, I can capture them individually, by hitting Print Screen, even though the act itself turns off the screensaver.
I'm only going to post one of these as an image here, but I will gather a collection of them and make a rar file of them all, for any who want them. (Yet another side project, I can take a break with from the mindboggling tasks.)
This one is maybe image 5 of a single animation, I'm calling Navigation Star Map (5):

On the other hand, the HAL desktop sucks big time. It's the HAL camera that looks so amateurish. I'll make a model and render it in modo and that will look cool. I can do it as a gif animation.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 2/1/2011 - 7:18 PM

By the way, above is the post from Mike James modo, an artist I greatly admire. I'd give almost anything to be able to take 6 months off from everything else and go study under this man's tutelage. Ah, to be young again, and starting fresh with modo.

Of his many projects, one I am following is his Boeing 787-8 "Dreamliner", you can find here. If I can make Orion as well done as this model, I'll be completely satisfied. I have many tutors to whom I owe a debt of gratitude, and Mike is right up there at the top. Go check him out, and when you're done a couple days from now, come back and see what's been added here. Better yet, subscribe, and Luxology will send you an email when new material is posted here.

Thanks Mike.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 10/23/2010 - 2:45 PM

Wow, thanks very much, Leon! Your comments are humbling. I consider myself to just be "one of many", in the modo pool.

I always preach "Documentation, Documentation, Documentation" for producing scale models, and you seem to have a huge amount of it. That will make all the difference in your project, as I'm sure you always know.

This movie still stands as a classic that was far ahead of it's time, in terms of effects, and I'm happy to see someone taking a serious stab at it. Hope you're having fun, and I for one, am looking forward to seeing the models and scenes you produce.

MODO, and the modo community ROCKS!
Visit www.mikejamesmedia.com

Orthographic Drawing Update

I have scaled up my adaptation of Simon Atkins drawings by approximately 400%. My model will be 8 feet long, including the 'probes'. That, I think will be sufficient to precisely place all the details.

96 inches @ 72ppi = 6,912 pixels, to paint all the points from which I'll finish it off with vector art. Then textures can be any size appropriate. In modo I can scale it relative to the other models.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________This page is so wide, you'll need to use the scroolbar to navigate to the next page buttons. Sorry.

Message edited by LeonArtO3D on 1/30/2011 - 11:38 PM

Page 2 of 11
First  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last