Notice: Community Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know >>

Topic - District 9 Dropship

Hi everyone, I'd like to show you a pretty accurate model of the spaceship from one of my favourite sic-fi movie "District 9". I had just few references for this model so the challenge was designing and modeling all the small details in line with the original design concept of the vehicle. I used modo for modeling and rendering.....no GI :)

Here is the video: https://vimeo.com/62422953
the breakdown: https://vimeo.com/61984585
.....and the original concept: http://www.gregbroadmore.com/imgpg.php?page=208

Hope you like it.

J

Message edited by joe84 on 3/23/2013 - 12:25 PM

Great modelling, love all the detail and mesh is very clean, well done. Really like your demo real as well.

Lookin great! I can spot few inaccuracies here and there:) Big fan of District 9 here.
Nurnietastic.. Very cool..

Rich

Nice one.

If I remember correctly the dropship in the film was actually built in modo.

Mark
Awesome details in your model! Very nice overall! Also watched your videos - not sure about the use of the music in your demo reel. This is "Daft Punk", right? It fits just perfectly but have you asked them for permission to use it in your reel? A lot of people are actually not aware that you cannot simply use any music in a (public) video that is not royalty-free (or that you actually would have to pay royalties...)

Keep up the great work!

Marco

PS: Have you done the fog/smoke also in modo?

marcotronic - digital artist + music composer
www.marcotronic.com
twitter.com/marcotronic
facebook.com/Marcotronic

Message edited by marcotronic on 3/24/2013 - 2:11 AM

Very nice !!
I'm always amazed when I see modeling like this. Love those wires.

Such precision.
Thank you guys! I'm very glad you like it.
Yes the original model was built in modo - in fact I decided to make this model after I read the interview with "The Embassy".
I added the smoke and the flare in post. Can't wait for the new 701 so I will be able to animate smoke straight away inside modo. I also thought about the problem of the music but as Marco said many people do that so I thought it was fine. I think I will change it soon....maybe with something from the Beatles :)

J
Very great modeling. :)
Yes, amazing modeling indeed.

I'm also impressed with how you kept the poly count focused on where detail was needed. And light where there was only flat surfaces.

Thanks for sharing.
Hi Joe. Amazin work, I saw it on Vimeo and it look fantastic. Congratulations on very detailed modeling. How much time did you spend on it?

Windows 8 Profesional | 64GB RAM | AMD card | portfolio: www.behance.net/tomerk | twitter: TLechocinski

Looks amazing District 9 is one of my favorite films. Is there a chance you will paint it?
Quote from joe84 :
I had just few references for this model so the challenge was designing and modeling all the small details in line with the original design concept of the vehicle.

Really great model. Very well done.... one thing you probably would have like to known earlier on....in the Dec 2009 issue of 3D World there was a Modelling Master Class of this ship in Modo by Dan Prentice w/ image planes, turntable animations, etc.
:-\

Message edited by Phungus on 3/28/2013 - 5:09 AM

Quote from Phungus :

Really great model. Very well done.... one thing you probably would have like to known earlier on....in the Dec 2009 issue of 3D World there was a Modelling Master Class of this ship by Dan Prentice w/ image planes, turntable animations, etc.

Only yesterday, when I was going through the old issues and deciding which one to keep and which will go to local recycling center I decided to keep this issue.

Again, fantastic model! Speaking of music in your reel, Even the "big boys" seems to be using copyrighted music in heir promo, It might be a copyrighted material, but I think it's quite good method to promote the artist anyway, as there will always be a questions about the track used.

Quote from Phungus :

Really great model. Very well done.... one thing you probably would have like to known earlier on....in the Dec 2009 issue of 3D World there was a Modelling Master Class of this ship in Modo by Dan Prentice w/ image planes, turntable animations, etc.

Yep, I was going to mention the same, none the less, excellent work!

-Will
thank you for all your comments!

I have spent one month on this model plus the video which was quite hard to make. I had 16 cameras in my scene and I created a custom set of area lights for each one of them. I will definitely paint it but now I need to focus on some other project.

I've never seen the original model until yesterday when I found this on vimeo: https://vimeo.com/35548676
The guy also use "daft punk" music for one of his showreel, I need to meet him, we have so much in common :)

J

Message edited by joe84 on 3/28/2013 - 9:10 PM

Awesome!!!
Serious modeling here.
Nice modeling and presentation!

I'd like to learn how you set up the wireframe renders.

-Steve
Hey Steve, for the wireframe renders you just need to do a screengrab of the viewport (change the shading style to Solid, you can also change the solid colour from light grey to white in the preference panel, it will work better. Then in photoshop invert the colours of the wireframe and start play with the layer opacity so you can mix it with your basic render (you can also try to set the layer mode to Multiply or Darken)

I think modo should have an option for making wireframe renders....many people like me use modo for modeling and they need to show the topology of their models.

Message edited by joe84 on 4/3/2013 - 11:50 AM

Thx Giuseppe,

I found this link to an old tutorial from Brad that might be of use:

http://software-tips.wonderhowto.com/how-to/create-wireframe-effects-when-rendering-modo-262955/

Does anyone remember when this was originally posted? There may be more discussion here in the forums about wireframe rendering.

Thanks!

-Steve