Notice: Community Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know >>

Topic - Get the Lead Out

This afternoon I started thinking about art for this year's International Pencil Day posters. This is a quick model and render from one idea. It took me longer to come up with a 'quote' to place above the image.
Great Dasch!
I liked!

Leo.
Quote from leomgs :
Great Dasch!
I liked!

Leo.

Thanks so much Leo!
Here is another. This one with motion blur from modo.
Hi Dale,

I'm not sure if it's just me but that motion blur is really playing on my eyes. I'm having a hard time concentrating on that image.

I like the concept (though not showing Mars would upset one of the forum's Visitors).

is that the effect you were looking for?
Quote from gmanYYZ :
Hi Dale,

I'm not sure if it's just me but that motion blur is really playing on my eyes. I'm having a hard time concentrating on that image.

I like the concept (though not showing Mars would upset one of the forum's Visitors).

is that the effect you were looking for?

Thanks gman!
I used the blur to try to imply movement of the pencil, but I agree the blur is heavy. I'll have to rethink that. I may in the end use the render as reference and draw a pencil version for the poster.

Message edited by Dale Schulz aka Dasch on 1/17/2013 - 12:03 AM

Or if there is 1 point/part on the pencil which is clear or in focus then the other areas won't bother -maybe.
Dale, in your second version I think the motion blurred shadow of the pencil could be improved by using a finer shading rate (maybe 0.25 instead of 1.0 for example). You can use the Environment Shading Rate to make it apply everywhere.
Thanks guys! I'll try your suggestions. I've never looked at the shading rate before.
I took your advice guys. I kept a little motion blur but only at the top of the pencil just to keep some movement happening, and I used a finer shading rate on this render. Thanks for the help!
Hey folks. Just thought I'd share a few bits and pieces. My concept sketch (drawn on ipad - no pencil), wires and UV layout.

Very nice Idea and work Dash! I realy love your quotation, just beautiful!
Quote from maView :
Very nice Idea and work Dash! I realy love your quotation, just beautiful!

Thanks man! Very much appreciated!
A lovely concept and you've translated into into 3D perfectly.
Quote from 3DSquirrel :
A lovely concept and you've translated into into 3D perfectly.

Thanks 3DSquirrel!
I looked at this a long time. I really liked how the point of the pencil led the eyes into the doodles on the page. The depth of field was wonderful with that effect. Something bothered me though and not just on the graphic level. There was a class of images in my head resulting from the quotation's and the image of the pencil's polar opposites. The Pencil itself is not "simple" like the text and the mind demand it to be. In other words, lose the globe because the earth is not simple. And there is way too much blue and green. Also this simplicity is mirrored in the lead and the writing on the page.

I hope that helps and is not too harsh. I didn't know how else to say it.