Notice: Purchasing, Trials and Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know: Part II >>

Topic - Moonlight - concept laptop

This is my first ever project in modo, and my first ever 3D project in general. This laptop for the future was made for a contest I lost, but why should good work go to waste. This laptop could probably be made even today, the technology is all there, so the design was key. I call the laptop Moonlight because the frame lights up in dark places releasing stress on the eyes, and it looks like a moon. The lower screen is a touch screen and that's about it.

Since this was my first use of modo, while working, first I Loved it , than Hated it then loved it again (its a known process), than made a 3D picture studio to make good renders.
That's all, hope you like it.

I know, its floating over the desk.

That's it, feel free to criticize and give advice.
From a modeling point of view, you certainly tackled an intricate organic shape for a first effort and pulled it off very well. The rendering and materials will take time to get the hang of; you may want to come back to this for fun in a few months' time.

Congratulations.
I agree w/ SD, the modeling is very nice and clean. Very sleek looking design. I especially like the fact that the keyboard is in front and not in back like most laptops. Easier to use.

The reflectivity seems pretty high. Looks great for a first Modo project! Is it a pc or a mac btw?
Chris-
Thanks for the quick replies, I'm very proud of the "organic" design, I've put a lot of thought in to it. As for the materials, I was kind of lost, because the controls aren't very intuitive, it's just something I will have to learn.

Ow, its not a Mac, not a PC, its a hybrid. It runs both, or it goes to he highest bidder. :-)
I Really like this like are you going to sell the design? I would pay top dollor for a sleek computer like that!

meni fantasticno, cestitke,
logirala se samo da vas pozovem ako zelite da o tome napravimo pricu, novinarka sam
stoga ako ste za, javite se,
pozdrav
ivana

Quote from minibraun :
This is my first ever project in modo, and my first ever 3D project in general. This laptop for the future was made for a contest I lost, but why should good work go to waste. This laptop could probably be made even today, the technology is all there, so the design was key. I call the laptop Moonlight because the frame lights up in dark places releasing stress on the eyes, and it looks like a moon. The lower screen is a touch screen and that's about it.

Since this was my first use of modo, while working, first I Loved it , than Hated it then loved it again (its a known process), than made a 3D picture studio to make good renders.
That's all, hope you like it.

I know, its floating over the desk.

That's it, feel free to criticize and give advice.
I like the concept is my kind of thing, Organic shapes Rock! From the MODO side I think I see some little problems on some curves, you corrected the noise, now looks better but may be if you post some wires is easier to pinpoint where the problems are, because for the higly reflective nature of all (Computer and background) we can see something that looks bad but is well modeled. I agree with you about the technology being there, I don´t know however how it would work with the eyes the screen curvature, another issue that jumps to my mind is if it has a DVD player, may be difficult to fix there (you know they are all straight), for disks no problem because today you can use alternatives.

I design some products (Not electronics, but home use) myself and the more complicated part of it is not the technical part of the design (With the exception of SolidWorks that sometimes makes you GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR) and the artistic one, is indeed the "usability" of some stuff I design, the issues with transport, storage, daily use, etc. People say that there is a constant war between Engineers and designers, as it is between Architects and Civil Engineers...that is true :-) I suffer a lot with engineers too, but that is part of life, and we need them to point stuff that our artistic eyes just don´t want to see.

Very nice project, I would buy something like that.
Dear minibraun!
This is wonderful concept and I have a little question to you.
My name is Sergey and I am an editor of GQ Russia magazine - glossy magazine for men.

Can you send me some high-resolution images of your moonlight notebook? I want to use it in article in our magazine.

Waiting for your answer.
I haven't visited this forum for a very long time, I had lots of tests and exams and lots of grade improving to do, and now I officially finished high school. Off to college for me.

Wow, thanks for a great and long reply "victor ascencao" I appreciate it. I noticed some distortions and noise in some places but couldn't get rid of them. It's a mystery to me, and I was too furious at the render controls to touch them any more. This was very acceptable for a first try. I'm satisfied.

Hello Sergey, unfortunately this was the high-res pictures, I never rendered bigger ones, but I could always render new ones.
If its not too late, I'll be glad to render some for you, just send me the resolution sizes, format and dead line.

For future contact: minibraun@gmail.com

Hvala na cestitkama. Nisam ni znao da se prica probila tako daleko da se vratila u Hrvatsku, ako ponuda još stoji rado prihvacam. Mail mi piše malo iznad. Teo
i want one of these computers...........great job
Please forgive me...

The model is GREAT. Clean lines, nice renders, and all that... but I have a little gripe or complaint.

I have spent somewhere near 10 minutes looking at this, and I can't for the life of me get it to work. Am I correct in thinking that the only way the Laptop closes, is to have the screen exposed?

To get it to swivel and close, kind of like a tablet is really sweet, but to make it so that it (the screen) must be exposed to the elements and my fumbling fingers, seems a little harsh.

Sorry to be so frank, but other than that, it really looks nice.

Have a blessed day,
-kmkenpo
Thanks for a great comment kmkenpo. I always liked criticism, I see it as suggestions.

When I was designing the laptop, I put a lot of thought in to the the design, so when I started designing I knew exactly what I was doing.

Think about this. Do you really need the screen protected. The laptop is either on the desk or in a bag, if the bag is good there should be no problem. The best example for the concept is a mobile phone. Do you care that the screen is not covered, but yet you use it (the "folding" mobile phone is dying out).

If you still have a problem with the idea, imagine that the screen is made from a super strong polymer supstance, that can't be scratched.
Hope this clears things up. Again, thanks for the comment.