Notice: Community Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know >>

Topic - MODO Steam Edition

Page 8 of 15
First  Previous  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last 
Hey everybody. The exports are currently limited with DOTA and other similar games. .blx is not limited, for instance the asset in the tutorial at high res is around 9 million polys. Overkill I admit ;) but that's how I like to work. As I mentioned to CG Vitamins on the Steam forums, we want this feedback. Your opinions will help shape the future of this product. I do want to let you know that as an artist I did fight for a lot of things for you guys but that doesn't mean everything is set in stone. We do need to take into account Modo 701 in many ways but that also can't be at the consequence of providing something that people aren't happy with. So keep the thoughts, opinions, and ideas coming in whatever way you feel appropriate. We will listen and we are actively discussing it. "Muahahahaha we are talking about you ;)"

Anyway, there are a lot of plans from a lot of people here regarding what else we can do to improve Modo Steam Edition and in general Modo for game workflows. You may be able to guess what some of these things are from the videos. Shader authoring workflows, 32 bit texture compositing for high level control, and baking refinements for example. For me this project has been a series of "ooooh we could do x, y and z." Many of these things will also benefit full Modo in the long run. I see a bright future in games for Modo and this could really help push that forward. For that to happen we need to be honest with ourselves regarding this feedback so keep it coming.

Now back to working on my lighting, shading and texturing workflows for DOTA. More stuff to come I hope you'll like.

Also I've been asked to do some videos after the Halloween contest ended, haven't had time because of the DOTA stuff and some other cool things you'll be seeing in the future. For those who haven't seen the new videos that are up, they are available to everyone, not just users of Modo Steam Edition. I hope some of these are useful to users of full Modo as well. 2.5 hr's of video split into 12 vids:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202604023#190724

Message edited by Greg Brown on 12/11/2013 - 12:44 AM

Quote from chikega :
You're limited to 7000 polygons.

I checked the LoD tri limits for the Hero item slots. They're pretty low per slot. Not sure why this fbx export limitation would be an issue unless you expect to make item sets right away.

http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements#hero

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186809308

Message edited by RikV on 12/11/2013 - 12:27 AM

Quote from RikV :

I checked the LoD tri limits for the Hero item slots. They're pretty low per slot. Not sure why this fbx export limitation would be an issue unless you expect to make item sets right away.

http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements#hero

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186809308

We can do sets! Each item needs to be published separately but it is no problem. You should also be able to do some courier replacements. One that I was considering is 5,000 tri's but I do need to look into that now. I will be starting a WIP for a Sven set very soon with the goal of showing people some more workflows and techniques that are special to Modo in general.

Message edited by Greg Brown on 12/11/2013 - 12:43 AM

Quote from Brian Schroeder :

It's nothing like either. It's actually a very fun 30-60 minute action/strategy type game. They call them MOBAs but that really doesn't mean anything.

Great game and I certainly hope us regular modo users get the same tools otherwise.... PITCHFORKS!!!

Just watched some on youtube....

.....looks like Warcraft/Starcraft and a WOW BG.

"Nothing like either" looks more like a little bit of both.

I'll certainly give it a try once I get out of this DOTA2 download Q.....almost a week in the Q and still at almost 24,000!
i really love the textures and look of the game. valve really outdid themselves with the art guides and etc.
Quote from Viewlexx :
i really love the textures and look of the game. valve really outdid themselves with the art guides and etc.

When I read through those doc's my mind was blown. Just a great resource for asset creation in general.

Message edited by Greg Brown on 12/11/2013 - 12:57 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for all the positive vibes! Here's a quick summary on a few things discussed in this thread thus far...

more more detail on what's is and is no in MODO Steam go here
http://steamcommunity.com/app/244290/discussions/0/630799808377375564/

The EULA restricts usage to personal, recreational and non-commercial use, except only for uses of the Software to create assets and content for sale through Valve’s Steam Workshop.

Currently the FBX output is capped at about 7k. That's due to inbound limitations of items going into DOTA 2 and TF2. the game will error if you try to load more than that and that doesn't create a really great new user experience for what it's intended for. We thought long and hard about what the limitations of the software should be and feel we have struck the right balance for the Steam market. Deciding what you put in is a very delicate process that often prevents software companies from doing something like this.

We do intend to update MODO proper to load the .blx files that MODO Steam saves. These .blx files are essentially the save as a .lxo and there are no poly limits or other save restrictions on this file format. You can import massive ZB sculpts or other files from various formats and then save your work in progress as a .blx file. Only when you go to export are you limited in options and we need to channel that towards Steam games to preserve the price point this is being offered at.

The first day's interest and sales have been great so far, and hopefully this is just a sign of what's yet to come. There's lots of fun things this project could lead to and bring even more users, resources, and features to MODO.

Message edited by ShaneGriffith on 12/12/2013 - 5:36 AM

From quick reading it seems that there is no bones and animations?

Can someone just answer me how nice is full MODO play with Source Engine / TF2 / Valve Filmaker now that The Foundry put focus into playing nice with Source game engine?

Thanks.
Things look really kool.

But...I'm going to let the early adopters do the bug testing for me.

I felt a bit burned under the 701 roll-out. (Sculpting was DOA for me until SP1)

I'll consider the extra 30 dollars well spent if I can get in on a PROVEN stable product.

Brad mentioned that this was The Foundry's project(?!?).

I will wait and see if any congenital defects are present.
Quote from CGvitamins :

He has been driving people away with his responses and less than friendly word choices. Its a bit of a PR disaster when he comments.

I'm not with you on this one. I don't think Tom was terse or even condescending in his replies as some suggested. It seems to me that there's just a disjunction in people's expectations of MODO Steam and Tom's answers. It's a new product and The Foundry is collecting feedback. Not sure why quite a few are bitching about it that much...not you in particular CGvitamins. Some posts were outright impolite.
my impression of Tom`s first day on steam forums
I read the posts over there....
Why do people have such thin skins?
I'm afraid that's fairly normal over at the Steam forums, people always seem to think they are being shortchanged or conned for some reason. It's a weird group think that seems to have set in.

Quote from Chris Puzzle Provine :
I read the posts over there....
Why do people have such thin skins?

yep..that's some steam(ing) forum over there. gsus..i mean, what do you expect..it's like Bedford Falls in here :)
thats because in Brad we trust. and David!
Negative comments are the norm on Steam.
Quite frankly, it's the only way to get an adequate response time from game and software developers. (They have to either respond quickly or delete the post before anyone sees it.)
It's the Steam way.

Message edited by saidosi on 12/11/2013 - 7:25 AM

Anyone have successfully had their items approved for sale at steam?
Having done a few 3d games on the side and mildly successful on turbosquid, I want to invest on modo steam edition because its one of those projects I can do outside of work.
But I just heard that its nearly impossible to get your items approved on steam from the polycount forums.
Those guys aren't exactly amateurs to game dev so for them to say that seems like modo steam users shouldn't expect anything to change the situation.
I personally want to buy modo steam and get some revenue atleast to pay for modo steam but if its near impossible to get approved..... :)
i get that impression too but I think thats because valve is still working out the strategy. im sure they will open the flood gates eventually. might as well wait it out, or start practicing for the storm
Taken another look at the comparisons to full Modo and Maya LT/Blender.

IMO removing animation was a bad move.
How are the kids supposed to make loops for couriers, for example?
A newbie to asset creation inevitably will want to dabble in basic anims.

Just limit the timeline to 200 frames max or something.

Also the 7k limit is a bit short-sighted (yeah, I know that´s the Dota2 item limit for now).

The moment the workshop opens up for full characters Modo Steam will be left in the dust by Maya LT and Blender.

Right now it doesn´t seem to do more than the $59 Silo.

As to the profitability of the asset store...I see LOTS and LOTS of very well designed stuff waiting for approval.
And I mean really a LOT. Those insane success stories some here linked to seem to be freak occurrences from the very first phase.

Chris Burkert-facebook.com/mhy3d

Message edited by Chris B on 12/11/2013 - 8:46 AM

• GRU College of Dental Medicine
  • 717 posts
So, the big question is .... does the full version of MODO include the features of MODO Steam such as saving in the .blx format?
Quote from Chris B :

As to the profitability of the asset store...I see LOTS and LOTS of very well designed stuff waiting for approval.
And I mean really a LOT. Those insane success stories some here linked to seem to be freak occurrences from the very first phase.

from what I remember most of the success stories that Valve's Gabe Newell has mentioned were related to TF2. DOTA2 is on a much bigger scale though...I am guessing it is Valve's main pet project to introduce user created content commerce.

\
Quote from chikega :
So, the big question is .... does the full version of MODO include the features of MODO Steam such as saving in the .blx format?

The automatic item packing for Dota isn't in full version MODO..maybe one day as a KIT? The BLX format seems supported though! and Modo Steam can open almost any format the full version can.
Quote from chikega :

I believe eventually they will sell a plugin for MODO that will enable the export features of MODO steam.
i want eventual Source 2 and Unreal 4 and Unity support that rivals everything else :)
Quote from Chris B :

Can you post the link where to see the wait list? I'm interested in this aspect of modo steam.
I vaguely remember someone from TF mentioning that the game export will eventually make it into full Modo.

Chris Burkert-facebook.com/mhy3d

Page 8 of 15
First  Previous  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last