Topic - Is there modo master certification available?

I am just wondering if there is any official modo training course by luxology, so if finish that course , There will be a certification like modo master or modo artist?

And how about nuke? Is there globe certification available also?

I mean not some certification paper by a local training facility, but from luxology ,or the foundry
Quote from IceCat :
I am just wondering if there is any official modo training course by luxology, so if finish that course , There will be a certification like modo master or modo artist?

And how about nuke? Is there globe certification available also?

I mean not some certification paper by a local training facility, but from luxology ,or the foundry

Yikes. Like the microsoft certified training ? Why don't you post some images & the community will soon decide if you're 'certified'

*post re-certified :)

Message edited by SJdesign on 10/30/2012 - 6:33 AM

Try certifying one's posts to make sure nothing is missing!
IceCat I'll give you a Certificate of certification "modo master" or "modo artist" OR "modo BS artist" it's all up to you.

Just send me 100 USD to my paypal account and I'll print you a nice Certificate with you name on it or a friends it doesn't matter. just send money Now !! =)

A good 3D artist has a good showreel or portfolio, doesn't do a 3 week course and adds another line in his resume..

Honestly These are are joke I've met too many people with autodesk certification that wouldn't know a mouse from a iphone unless it rang while they were holding it.. total waste of money and time, AD must make afew dollars from handing these things out .?

I know a Max guy with "softimage autodesk certification" who did not know what ICE was when I asked if done any work in it. =/ .. NO JOKE I am NOT making that up ? the next thing i asked was " how the F'K did you get that "softimage autodesk certification",.. he didn't answer..

Message edited by T4D on 10/30/2012 - 5:53 AM

Quote from T4D :
IceCat I'll give you a Certificate of certification "modo master" or "modo artist" OR "modo BS artist" it's all up to you.

Just send me 100 USD to my paypal account and I'll print you a nice Certificate with you name on it or a friends it doesn't matter. just send money Now !! =)

A good 3D artist has a good showreel or portfolio, doesn't do a 3 week course and adds another line in his resume..

Honestly These are are joke I've met too many people with autodesk certification that wouldn't know a mouse from a iphone unless it rang while they were holding it.. total waste of money and time, AD must make afew dollars from handing these things out .?

I know a Max guy with "softimage autodesk certification" who did not know what ICE was when I asked if done any work in it. =/ .. NO JOKE I am NOT making that up ? the next thing i asked was " how the F'K did you get that "softimage autodesk certification",.. he didn't answer..

I recently had someone ask me what the black dots where on my mesh. yes the vertices

Message edited by SJdesign on 10/30/2012 - 6:36 AM

Pretty much without fail, whenever I've experienced people who claim they're experts they actually didn't know very much but when I've met those who downplay what they know, they've always known a lot. A couple of years ago I learned there's actually a name for this, the Dunning-Kruger effect.

What those certifications are good for are duping the gullible, which included HR people and administrators who make hiring decisions yet don't actually know much if anything about cg.

Quote from Zarathustra :
What those certifications are good for are duping the gullible, which included HR people and administrators who make hiring decisions yet don't actually know much if anything about cg.

See, and those are the ones you need to impress to get the job. So we need Modo Certification papers to hand them...
Academic / Work wise I see why IceCat is asking and like Zarathustra said, is more for the HR who only reads mostly on the qualifications section of each applicant. However, a serious house would hire you in a blink of an eye if you have a great portfolio. What I still don't get is why would you apply for a job (if that's the reason of the question) where you will be interview by people who have no clue about your portfolio. Errr....

T4D, I think that softimage certified person took his certificate while softimage was still in beta version? perhaps?
As I am aware of, AD certifications are based on the version of the time you took your certificate. But it doesn't carry over, so yes, it looks pretty for a short time, but if one doesn't keep renewing / retaking the exam for the new version (with new features) is pretty pointless.

I can imagine the dialogue:
A: I am softimage certified.
B: Nice. And when did you take your certificate?
A:........"thinking ...... 2001"..........11 years ago..
B:...........................meh.

That's the only explanation I can see why he didn't know what ICE is.

Message edited by cgisoul on 10/30/2012 - 8:46 AM

Those who don't know any better are attracted to bling, like moths to a flame. Certificates can be bling. Awards are bling for potential clients (say any piece won something and watch their opinions change), and potential bling for employers. In academia, published books and/or papers plus public lectures and presentations at industry events are your bling. All are means to convince those who otherwise don't have the means otherwise that you're good at what you do.

I would find it hard to believe that in this industry you could get employed solely on bling without ever having anyone who actually knew a thing or two review you and/or your actual work and abilities. I've had experience reviewing submissions from want to be contractors and now am reviewing applicants at my day job. In both situations I need to shield my eyes from the bling and get to what someone may actually know and can do. Usually that comes from looking at the portfolio but when in doubt, I ask very direct questions. I would have to assume at decent places there's at least one person like me or Peter weighing in, so be ready for those ICE questions.

If you're lucky, they're more like Peter. He's a lot nicer than me. :)~

Message edited by Zarathustra on 10/30/2012 - 9:17 AM

Quote from Zarathustra :
Pretty much without fail, whenever I've experienced people who claim they're experts they actually didn't know very much but when I've met those who downplay what they know, they've always known a lot.

Yeah, I knew people with an ACE in Photoshop that couldn't find their ass in the dark with both hands. My portfolio opened all the doors I needed.

I usually preface any modeling post with "I still consider myself a beginner', and I honestly still do, and still am! Now I'm starting to think of myself as an 'intermediate beginner'. Keeps peoples expectations down. After all, I'm just retired, and a hobbyist, and have an awful lot to learn about this 3D modeling stuff.

As far as ICE? Yep, even I know what that is. It's how cold I like my beer.

;)

Message edited by Chuck Clayton on 10/30/2012 - 9:22 AM

Quote from Zarathustra :

I would find it hard to believe that in this industry you could get employed solely on bling without ever having anyone who actually knew a thing or two review you and/or your actual work and abilities.

This is the problem. Who is qualified to qualify the less qualified? I know this exists in more subjectivity than it should, so that probably scares anyone away from thinking they can actually get a job based upon...experience. What is "experience" and who decides if it's "good" or not?

Hence the need for the entire IT industry to get standardized qualifiers - it removes the bullshitters.

Not all certifications mean nothing, just as not all academic awards mean nothing. It took something for the person to get there, but it certainly isn't the end-all. What I'm saying is it would be nice to have a better calibrated end-all for people in IT and Graphics. There is just way too much leeway for people to claim superiority.
Quote from T4D :

When I was in charge of 3D department, I never spent much time looking at credentials that could be printed on a piece of paper.

The reel rules. End of story.
As Solidworks user certification are great. Go Engineering offer lots of training and those certification help when your company sends you for training. After all they need some kind of paper work for HR to put in your folder hehe. So If he/she is using Modo with CAD, i can see why the request for certifications.
Certification for training and for teachers is something that we have considered in the past, actually. We haven't had the resources for this previously, but this could change now that we are bigger. This is something we would want to do right the first time.
Quote from David Tracy :
Certification for training and for teachers is something that we have considered in the past, actually. We haven't had the resources for this previously, but this could change now that we are bigger. This is something we would want to do right the first time.

autodesk Masters is a good thing,. that is worth something.

But a Certification for teaching ..hmm can I relate this to something else creative. ?

anyone can teach the guitar just like anyone can make a cube in modo
but if you have a really good guitarist teach there's a world of difference.

A talented guitarist can make you go WOW in afew seconds and want to learn how
A talented modo teacher with a WOW show reel makes you want to learn how

why learn from a guy who's main talent is knowing where the "create cube" button is ?
or a guitarist who's good at tuning the guitar ?

Message edited by T4D on 10/31/2012 - 1:21 AM

Yeah, I have to agree with you that most 3D software moves like a guitar but Modo moves at the speed of a Banjo!
Quote from T4D :

But a Certification for teaching ..hmm can I relate this to something else creative. ?

anyone can teach the guitar just like anyone can make a cube in modo
but if you have a really good guitarist teach there's a world of difference.

A talented guitarist can make you go WOW in afew seconds and want to learn how
A talented modo teacher with a WOW show reel makes you want to learn how

why learn from a guy who's main talent is knowing where the "create cube" button is ?
or a guitarist who's good at tuning the guitar ?

I have to disagree with you T4D. A great artist doesn't necessary means you are a good tutor / teacher / trainer.
Teaching itself is an art. AD certification doesn't only tests your software knowledge / know how, but you are also being marked the way how you teach depending the certificate level you are undertaking and is a three day "event".
Quote from cgisoul :

I have to disagree with you T4D. A great artist doesn't necessary means you are a good tutor / teacher / trainer.
Teaching itself is an art. AD certification doesn't only tests your software knowledge / know how, but you are also being marked the way how you teach depending the certificate level you are undertaking and is a three day "event".

I do agree with you, a good teacher can no beyond the courses outline and give students more,

but Autodesk certification is being given out for a fee. what is the point ?? ,

IMO designing good teaching resources & courses is a much better way to spreading knowledge in the internet age, specially about software usage.

but most "certification" doesn't certify your a good teacher just that you can teach the subject. just like anyone can teach guitar if they know how to play.

AND my point was mainly dealing with the comment "so if finish that course , There will be a certification like modo master or modo artist? "

I like the idea of modo masters hand picked by the developers teaching and showing off modo ( 2 things come into play creative talent and the ability to speak to people/teach them the tool)

but getting a "modo artist certificate" because you paid for a coarse and appeared everyday ... sorry bad idea.
Quote from T4D :

but Autodesk certification is being given out for a fee. what is the point ??
but getting a "modo artist certificate" because you paid for a coarse and appeared everyday ... sorry bad idea.

On that I 100% agree with you.
The Foundry offer a Nuke for Trainers course (through FXPHD):

http://www.fxphd.com/news/nuketrainer/

It basically trains you on everything you need to know to be an educator that can go into studios and train people on how to use the software.

I would guess that a modo certification would be similar and I don't think that's a bad thing.

-Matt
In theory, lots of things don't appear to be bad things. How's that saying go? "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

• If there's a certification, it has to state upfront what version. As was stated before, no resting on a 2001 certification.
• I'd go further and have mini certifications or some checkboxes or flags for the certification which shows EXACTLY what you may know. Maya is the Borg ship of 3D, with bits and pieces stuck on there from the 90s. Who knows the entire app inside and out well? I haven't met that person yet. Modo is beginning to get deep in features, too. Who knows every nook and cranny of it well?

It starts getting problematic real quick.

The reel rules. End of story.

True that! Then you invite the person in and hope he or she isn't a nutjob. ;)

A great artist doesn't necessary means you are a good tutor / teacher / trainer.

I'd have to agree, but I'd probably still hire the one who I believed knew and could do more for a teaching position. Furthermore, someone who knows a thing or two can readily tell who else knows a thing or two even without a portfolio. Once you start talking, you know. I was at an educators symposium at SIGGRAPH sponsored by Dreamworks. Within a couple of minutes you knew who really knew stuff, and who was getting a free lunch based on their 2001 certification.

Message edited by Zarathustra on 10/31/2012 - 6:40 AM

After applying for a position some people will walk away saying, "How did that idiot get the job ahead of me!" Well, because he's certified of course.
My brother in law runs the 3d department of a major toy company. His explanation of certifications and college degrees are this.....the certification or college degree doesn't mean you are smart or above the rest...what it says is that you took the incentive of getting higher training. Certifications and degrees are looked at first and then portfolios or demo reels. He also says about 4 out of 10 portfolios and demo reels have had to be made by someone else.....because he puts the applicant to a test on the computer to see for himself. he says 4 out of 10 with the degrees and reels are too stupid to get a job. he says he also looks at the demo reels of applicants that have no certification or college...says his 3 best modelers never had any formal training...but took the initiative to learn on their own. he always says the 10 dumbest people he ever met all had college masters degrees.

Doesn't hurt to have a certification...sometime it's what gets you in the door. i have a ton of certifications that I worked my ass off to get and i am glad to have them. They have helped me a number of times..and many times they did not matter.

there's definitely 2 sides to this certification and degree stuff.

Best thing to do is to arm yourself with everything you can. sometimes a great cheerful personality will get you in the door before your qualifications are checked.

It also don't hurt to know somebody or the right people. That's a cold hard fact of how this world works.

Message edited by JimBerton on 11/1/2012 - 9:47 AM

I don't know how things are working in other countries but here in Greece a Reel is not enough.
Heck sometimes it makes the one who wants to hire you even more frustrated because he doesn't understand what he is seeing.
I would love to have a cool reel and give it to people who would know what they see but here its mostly the number of lines in your CV.
Sad but true.
So why not having one of those papers for those hard-looking bosses who want to hire office workers?!