Notice: Purchasing, Trials and Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know: Part II >>

Topic - DAVE School

I am curious about the DAVE School in Orlando, FL. Does anyone have any experience with the DAVE School? If so was it worth the money and did it lead to a good job in the industry? I was recently laid off from my job and I am trying to decide on the next step.

http://mikehahn.carbonmade.com/

The Dave School is a good program but it is a LW-centric program so you will be focusing primarily on LW. Which is a great application and one a VERY powerful one to boot. Contrary to what a lot of people are saying here on this forum LW IS still extensively used in the field of FX. I know quite a few people still making their way just fine these days in Hollywood. Although it's getting tough for everyone due to the present economic state. if you can Master and I mean really master LW you can find work. However, if you are looking to run the general hiring gauntlet Maya for FX and Max for gaming are generally listed as qualifications. As someone wisely posted here If you have mastered the 3D process and have a through understanding of the inner working AND ... have artistic talent you will find work. What application you choose is irrelevant. Learning Maya is not going to make you a great 3D artist anymore than Learning Modo.

If you're interested in learning LW in a good learning environment as well as getting a good fundamental grasp of the flow of production then yes Dave School is a good choice. If you want to break in because of the software you know then perhaps it is better that you go somewhere else.

Cheers
Quote from Mike.Hahn :
I am curious about the DAVE School in Orlando, FL. Does anyone have any experience with the DAVE School? If so was it worth the money and did it lead to a good job in the industry? I was recently laid off from my job and I am trying to decide on the next step.

IF you are SERIOUS about school, try the Gnomon School. You'll be far more marketable skill wise than going to Dave School.

Check out Gnomon's "Best of Term" students work. It's pretty amazing.
Quote from Steve Rogers :

IF you are SERIOUS about school, try the Gnomon School. You'll be far more marketable skill wise than going to Dave School.

Check out Gnomon's "Best of Term" students work. It's pretty amazing.

Not necessarily, If you understand the science and process and have great artistic capabilities you WILL be marketable.... the choice of schools is of course is up to you but don't discount this institution on this basis. There is merit to enrolling in the Gnome school no doubt but graduate from the Dave school have found employment as well.

Nevertheless good luck on your new endeavor quite the game eh??

Cheers
I can vouch for Gnomon. I've been through the program and it's excellent and staffed by some talented people. Their tools and software reflect closely what the larger studios are using. I don't know anything about the Dave school but if you're just starting out in this field you might want to reconsider a Lightwave-based grad program. In Hollywood Lightwave seems to be disappearing from the studios more and more each year.

I'd have to agree with what Steve said, the job boards out here have few postings for lightwave artists anymore. You'd be much more marketable learning Maya or XSI.
If it does'nt matter that its outside the US, here's another good one to consider: NAD Center.

Its where I plan to go next year if everything goes as planned for me.

stepay

Stephane Payette
www.stephanepayette.com

Perfection just can't exist, otherwise it would loose all interest

Thanks for comments and insight guys, I appreciate it.

http://mikehahn.carbonmade.com/

Hey there!

I'm a Daver.
The previous comments are very true, I went to Dave School, and learned Lightwave, the investment it's been returned many times over at this point. With that said, I have seen and worked in some studios that are Key players to the Lightwave community in L.A, and have stopped using lightwave, so the Lightwave pool for studios is getting smaller.
Even though I've not been to Gnomon, I'm an avid fan of their tutorials for Maya and Z-Brush and whatever else they can put out. Very talented group of artist running things over there.

From my experience, I can say that the learning curve for lightwave wasn't as steep as for Maya, which I still don't know everything about, but enough to supplement the tool box.
Truth is, that in this Industry you'll probably start by focusing on one program at first, and once you have more experience and needs, you'll venture on to other programs, and before you know it, you'll be using whatever program is best for the task at hand.

Just if you were wondering, here's my stuff, and the breakdown shows the program used for each job.

Demo