Topic - Creating 3D Game Art Unity iOS and modo Support Thread

Hello fellow modonauts,

Welcome to the official support thread for the book, "Creating 3D Game Art for the iPhone with Unity iOS: Featuring modo and Blender Pipelines."

I hope that you are enjoying the book and if you have any questions on the book or would like to discuss any game development topics related to modo, please post them here.

Haven't picked up the book yet? You can find more information on the book's content as well as the Table of Contents here!

Thanks and I look forward to getting some good discussions on modo game development going!

Best Regards,

Wes
Hello Wes-

Have you considered doing that basic Rigging in "Blender" based on the character in this game. I realize this is an overview and not a walk through step by step.

I just thought as I mentioned before how valuable something like this could be for future needs for those of us interested in Blender's animation features.

One of the reasons why I ask you at all is because you're from our world here in Modo. But you also understand the Blender world as well.

So who better to explain things in a future "Rigging Basic Animation Tutorial" then you.

I am sure you are swamped as we all are. But I thought to ask at least once more before moving over to LightWave setup.

Thanks Wes for all the great books and your talent share to this community.

Savnac
Hi Savnac,

Thanks for the kind words!

I haven't thought too much on a specific Blender rigging tutorial. However, that's something I can keep in mind as that might make a good tutorial for the blog. Thanks for the suggestion : ) The book comes with tons of video content via a resource site like Real World modo and I do have videos that cover the Blender rig of the main character more in-depth than what's seen in the book.

My first choice for rigging in the book was Maya, but that wouldn't have been a good choice as it would have required two expensive software packages i.e. Maya and modo. That is why Blender being free, was used as it provided an excellent companion to modo for the rigging portions. You mentioned LightWave, which I used before modo, is a great package as well. If you have LightWave already, I'd recommend going that route. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Blender's rigging toolset. There's some great tools such as XMirror skin weights as you paint.

I'll make a example video like I did with Real World modo soon. I made some great improvements on the video delivery from the last book. Now you can log into the site and stream the content. It also works on the iPhone and iPad for training on the go. And of course, the files can still be downloaded for archive.

Thanks Savnac!

-Wes
I was about to place an order at amazon when I realised that a kindle version is also available.

I assume the book comes bundled with a CD/DVD. Would the content be available in the Kindle version? Via downloading?

My apologies if this is not the right place to ask for information about Kindle since this is an amazon.com version/issue.

Message edited by astrocom on 1/4/2011 - 6:37 PM

Quote from astrocom :
I was about to place an order at amazon when I realised that a kindle version is also available.

I assume the book comes bundled with a CD/DVD. Would the content be available in the Kindle version? Via downloading?

My apologies if this is not the right place to ask for information about Kindle since this is an amazon.com version/issue.

Hi astrocom!

No problem : ) I'd be happy to answer your Kindle questions. The book actually doesn't come with a DVD. Instead, the book's content is delivered via a resource website. The book gives the details on how to access the site. On the site, There are over 7 hours of bonus videos as well as model files. You can download the videos or watch them straight from the site on your computer of iOS device. There is no restriction on viewing the videos online or how many times you can download the content.

The Kindle version is in color as well as the actual printed book. I don't own a Kindle, but using the Kindle App for iPhone and iPad is in color.

Let me know if you have any other questions! You can view the table of contents on the site http://the3dninja.com/unitybook.

Best,

Wes
I'm very interested in this book, I am just starting to learn Messiah, would I be able to use that instead of Blender and still follow the book?
Quote from MaxCalo :
I'm very interested in this book, I am just starting to learn Messiah, would I be able to use that instead of Blender and still follow the book?

Hi MaxCalo,

Yes, you certainly can use Messiah. The book uses Blender simply because it's readily available to everyone and as modo doesn't currently have character animation tools, it makes a good companion being that its free. However, the rigging and animation processes described in the book using Blender are very applicable to other software. For instance, I actually use Maya for character animation and I simply adapted my Maya workflow to Blender for the book.

The funny thing is, I never touched Blender before the book ; ) Now, that might sound bad being that I wrote a book on using Blender for rigging, but it also shows that the book focuses on principle and not specific software. The book does use Blender's toolset for rigging, skinning and animation to describe the processes, but these tools are found in any major 3D app such as Maya, 3ds Max and Messiah.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Wes
Thanks Wes,
all very clear now.
I also took a look at it and read the intro in the "look inside" document on Amazon and it really looks like a very useful book to go through.
It's the next one on my list now, as soon as I've learnt enough Messiah I get it.