Notice: Purchasing, Trials and Accounts Have Changed. What You Need To Know: Part II >>

Topic - Correct method for getting smooth edges on imported Illustrator vector logos

I need some help please. I have a simple vector logo done in Illustrator. It's just text. I have saved it to AI v8 and imported it into Modo. After freezing the curves and beveling it out, I noticed the edges look faceted. Hitting Tab utterly destroys the model so I can't use that. Adding edges just adds complexity to the model, not smoothness.

I've tried messing with values on the Smoothness and Smoothing Angle but nothing is helping the faceted look so I'm assuming its in the geometry?

Before extruding the logo, I did go in and merged corner verts where there were two to try to avoid issues with the extrusion.

I tried converting the logo to outlines in AI before saving to v8 format. No change.

I also tried to recreate the logo using the Modo Text tool, but the text that came out from using the same font as was used in Illustrator did not match. Corners were flanged a tad on one of the letters and the overall look of the text was different in Modo than it is in AI.

So is there a tutorial that anyone knows of that describes how to prep imported vector files for purposes of extruding in Modo resulting in a non-faceted result?
i use illustrator file in modo all the time...what i have found is that it's less time consuming...opening the illustrator curve, then make a new mesh and use the pen tool to re-model over the top of it. once you do this a few times, it gets very fast.

the text tool sucks in modo. it has too many limitations. it's really only good on fat text with not many curves. the thinner the text or more curvy the text...the bevel tool overlaps edges too quickly.

dan ablan at 3dgarage.com has all his stuff at a big sale right now. he has a pretty good tutorial set on text tool in modo. it's a good tutorial set, but i still find it's easier and quicker to use the pen tool and re-create the shapes.

re-creating with the pen tool sounds like a major deal..but once you do it a few times...it is very quick and exact.

jim

Cristobal Vila has a tutorial on creating text for subdivision, in which he talks about working between Illustrator and modo. It is in Spanish, but can be run through Google's translation tools if need be (although that sometimes does some amusing things with modelling terms).

http://www.etereaestudios.com/training_img/subd_tips/subd_text.htm

Mark
Quote from JimBerton :
dan ablan at 3dgarage.com has all his stuff at a big sale right now. he has a pretty good tutorial set on text tool in modo. it's a good tutorial set, but i still find it's easier and quicker to use the pen tool and re-create the shapes.

I have the 201, 301, and 401 courseware DVDs. Is that tutorial on one of those or a seperate DVD?

I'll also watch the Spanish tutorial to see what that's about.
Quote from wirefraym :

I have the 201, 301, and 401 courseware DVDs. Is that tutorial on one of those or a seperate DVD?

I'll also watch the Spanish tutorial to see what that's about.

http://www.3dgarage.com/product-p/m4tf.htm

Big sale on right now.
read this thread (it's a few pages) hope this helps...

text in 401
Read all of the pages on that link. A lot of groaning about text in Modo and a lot of solutions that require either buying/using another product.

I don't get it. Why is it so hard to make text work the way you would expect?

I am especially frustrated with the fact that if I use the text tool in Modo, setting the font to the same one in Illustrator, and type out a word, some of the characters are lop-sided on the rounded edges in Modo where they are not in Illustrator.

For example, I'm using Myriad Pro Bold in both Modo and Illustrator CS5. The capital C in Modo has a weird flange on it (as seen by the example photos below), where as Illustrator as you would expect, does not. So somehow Modo interprets fonts in a different way I guess, which is not really desirable.

Good Question, But that is why I use Illustrator for text generation then import into Modo. the only 3D tool I have ever seen that truly comes close to being a great all round text tool is unfortunately not Modo but C4D. To add insult to injury the text is also editable... Try doing that in Modo... : )

Despite the ability of the text tools in C4D it was still not enough to make me ditch Modo (or LW for that matter) for C4D...
I would never consider ditching Modo just because of one issue, but in my case it's a rather large issue because I do a lot of text / logo stuff - all in Illustrator but occasionally (like this instance) a client wants a 3D version. But when a tool gives you issues or doesn't really have the feature set you want to do a particular job, it makes using that tool for that work less and less desirable, especially when I have to fight it.

I'm sure there is a process (like the Spanish version posted earlier) that would be great to memorize / refer to, but would love to have one done in English so that it's easy to understand.
Quote from wirefraym :
I would never consider ditching Modo just because of one issue, but in my case it's a rather large issue because I do a lot of text / logo stuff - all in Illustrator but occasionally (like this instance) a client wants a 3D version. But when a tool gives you issues or doesn't really have the feature set you want to do a particular job, it makes using that tool for that work less and less desirable, especially when I have to fight it.

I'm sure there is a process (like the Spanish version posted earlier) that would be great to memorize / refer to, but would love to have one done in English so that it's easy to understand.

I understand. Modo is far from perfect and IF text manipulation and editing is a serious prerequisite then I would heartily recommended C4D. Not only is text handling superior but it is all designed for animation and effects (broadcast). Oh and as I said earlier it is also meant to be edited. It just doesn't get any better... Use the the tool that is best suited for the job...
that's funny, I was watching a Maya tutorial recently and the same thing happened with a little spike on some letters, the author just adjusted the verts and that was that, so it's not just a modo problem.

anyway, depending on what your logo will be used for, meaning: will it be rendered close up for web or print or maybe a flyby for some motion graphics?
do you need SubD smoothed or will it be ok as a polygon+ beveled object?
this will determine the amount of time you need to spend on cleaning up - beveling etc.
you just need to know what will cause problems and how to avoid them.

did you watch this?

http://www.kmdesign.com/modo/increase_res.html

also read:

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=49913

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=48660

if you need help or it's not clear feel free to ask any questions.

if we don't hear anything - good luck
k!

Quote from kevmodo :
read this thread (it's a few pages) hope this helps...

text in 401

Ahem... I rest my case : ) Coming from LW I am already used to this type of test tool/ It looks like The lux guys just brought the LW version over and plugged it in. As Arnie Cachlan says.. hey, at least it's good practice... Yeah OK.. Right : )

I can deal with the issues and as Arnie says I now plenty of practice so it is not too tedious. But if I did have to do heavy text usage, I would not hesitate to use C4D. I don't primarily because I am not that fond of C4D and I don't have to do too much text based 3D...

Message edited by JohnGonzales on 10/28/2010 - 11:29 PM

But if I did have to do heavy text usage, I would not hesitate to use C4D. I don't primarily because I am not that fond of C4D and I don't have to do too much text based 3D...

I agree.