Topic - The V-Ray for MODO Plugin is now available

Page 1 of 11 1234567NextLast
We have a new plugin.

V-Ray is a complete interactive lighting, shading and rendering toolkit, giving you full control over the entire creative process, from real-time look development to the final frame. V-Ray for MODO seamlessly integrates production-proven rendering capabilities into MODO’s native workflow. V-Ray for MODO is built upon the latest core technology that has made V-Ray an industry standard in visual effects, broadcast and architectural design projects for nearly 20 years.

20% off launch promo until July 20th, so hurry in and grab your license today!
(Currently the discount will only appear when you add V-Ray for MODO to your shopping cart)

Watch the video below:

Intrigued? Click to find out more.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
~Master Yoda

Message edited by Brandon R. Reddick on 7/6/2016 - 10:06 AM

Very nice. It's great that it is being sold directly through The Foundry.

Now to scrounge up the cash for a license...
How does purchasing work if we buy via the foundry. If we already have an account with Chaos Group can they tag it onto that account?
Looks like there's a 20% discount until July 20th, 2016. I only saw the discount when I added it to the shopping cart.
Sorry for the dumb question but... do the €499 price include both modo plugin and VRay renderer license?
I mean... i pay €499 and i'm ready-to-go?
Quote from pixteur :

How does purchasing work if we buy via the foundry. If we already have an account with Chaos Group can they tag it onto that account?

From what I've been told if you already have an account with the Chaos Group it should be tagged onto the existing account.

~Master Yoda

Quote from Umberto Uderzo :

Sorry for the dumb question but... do the €499 price include both modo plugin and VRay renderer license?

NOT a dumb question
Wait what? How did this happen? :)
Hooooorray....finally it's out!
Quote from Umberto Uderzo :

Correct. It's what we call a workstation license, so you get the plugin and one render node.
It mentions GPU rendering, is this fully supported or only a few functions such as AO passes? Any chance of a trial to test a dual GPU set up?
Is a USB dongle required?

I presume it can be purchased a la carte from Chaosgroup distributors (i.e. plug-in only if you already have V-Ray)? Or is it handled differently than other V-Ray plugins?

Which version of V-Ray does the TF bundle include?

G.

Message edited by Gavin Scott on 7/6/2016 - 10:04 AM

Quote from Scott Martin :

It mentions GPU rendering, is this fully supported or only a few functions such as AO passes? Any chance of a trial to test a dual GPU set up?

VRay GPU

GPU rendering is actually very robust in V-Ray and there is a trial version of V-Ray for MODO as well.
Quote from Gavin Scott :

Is a USB dongle required?

I presume it can be purchased a la carte from Chaosgroup distributors (i.e. plug-in only if you already have V-Ray)? Or is it handled differently than other V-Ray plugins?

G.

It can be purchased through Chaos Group resellers as well. A USB dongle is not required, as there is an online licensing option for V-Ray for MODO.
Even though I've added my VAT-number, when trying to buy it adds 20% taxes at the end of the order. Why that?
Quote from Volker Troy :

Even though I've added my VAT-number, when trying to buy it adds 20% taxes at the end of the order. Why that?

Unsure atm, let me ask someone in the team and get back to you. :)

~Master Yoda

Wow! that's great to see this out for MODO, wonder what version of Vray this is 3.2, 3.4? Its also such a great offer price, to put it into perspective iv not long ago purchase Vray .1.9 for C4D, and that cost me over £600, wonder why C4D version is taking such a long time to get v3 out?

Daniel.
Quote from Daniel R :

Wow! that's great to see this out for MODO, wonder what version of Vray this is 3.2, 3.4? Its also such a great offer price, to put it into perspective iv not long ago purchase Vray .1.9 for C4D, and that cost me over £600, wonder why C4D version is taking such a long time to get v3 out?

Daniel.

V-Ray for MODO is currently using 3.4 :)

~Master Yoda

Quote from Volker Troy :

Hi Volker,

Please email sales@thefoundry.co.uk and they can assist you further. Sorry for any inconvenience.

~Master Yoda

Quote from Brandon R. Reddick :

V-Ray for MODO is currently using 3.4 :)

Awesome! :)
Lots of documentation and stuff here:

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAYMODO/V-Ray+for+MODO+Help

G.
Cash scrounged, license bought. That 20% discount pushed me over the edge. It's not like my kids need food or clothes anyway... *cough*

I'm actually very happy that TF is handling sales here. I dreaded having to go through a local reseller, seeing what they charge for a Vray license for Rhino/Sketchup/Maya/Max. With the discount Vray for Modo is practically half the price of those.

You can download the demo here : http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=v-ray-modo
You only need to register on chaosgroup.com
The demo is not time-limited. The limitations are listed on the page.

Like mentioned, the V-Ray specific features (geometry,materials,textures) supported by RT GPU are listed here : https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAYMODO/RT+GPU+CUDA+Supported+Features
Support for MODO native features for both CPU and RT GPU rendering is listed here : https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAYMODO/MODO+Compatibility

Greetings,
Vladimir Nedev
Good morning everyone,

This is exciting news ... I think. Pricing is enough that I'd like advice regarding my use case. Video doesn't quite convince me.

I'm a small architecture firm that revels in using modo to explore options and convey the projects to clients and builders. In '09 401 upgraded my archviz capabilities hitting price point and experience well. I haven't regretted it. Investments in education and presets/plugins have gotten my rendering game up to speed (I'm at a healthy jog now lol). But most important, the community has been amazing. That was hands down the reason for going with modo.

In '09 I was comparing modo with the AutoDESK line and Sketchup + plugins. V-Ray was always mentioned. 401 beat the SU Pro/V-Ray combo on price ... and pricing is not ADesk strong suit (30 year vet of their price schemes.) But price isn't everything. Speed to final render matters, and more subtly, pain in getting to that speed matters too. That's why the modo community has continuously tipped the tide for me.

I am indeed intrigued that V-Ray has arrived. I'm just enough out of the loop to understand it's value for us. My shop does maybe 300-500 hours a year on renderings - and too much of that time on getting lighting v quality balanced out. Rather spend time in ideation. So any tools that shorten that cycle are important and valuable.

So, for those of us occasional users, can anyone shed light on what benefits we might see from V-Ray?

My best to everyone,
Frank
Page 1 of 11 1234567NextLast