Topic - ETEREA Quick Locators 1.1 • Updated December 2013

Update December 23, 2013 • Version 1.1

— Icons are defined using the new 'Icons Grid' structure introduced with Modo 701. This means a better file management: Modo does not import a lot of small PNG files, one for each icon. There are just 2 'grid image' files now, one for medium icons (20 pixels) and one for large icons (32 pixels).

— Now you can open the tools in two ways: as a Popover (simple CLICK on icon in top Toolbar) or as a Floating Window (press ALT at the same time)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi guys,

here is a new kit for helping with Locator creation and transformation tasks. I created this because don't like to do repetitive tasks, and I hate to click and navigate through several palettes or panels to create and modify something so “simple” as locators. This could be a good utility to help with setup process, where you are constantly adding and modifying Locators to control your rigs.

I think that the icons and this screenhot are self-explanatory…

… but, in any case here are some advices and considerations:

— When you create Locators having Vertices, Edges, Polygons or Items selected, the new Locators take the mesh item name as suffix (ie. “Cylinder_Locator”). Take this in consideration, specially because if you create a first “Cylinder_Locator”, this item (the locator) will be selected. Then, creating a new locator, it will named “Cylinder_Locator_Locator”, and a new one “Cylinder_Locator_Locator_Locator”. Well, you get the point ;-)

— If you select various Items, at different positions and rotations, you will get as many Locators as Items, with same position, rotation and suffix names. But be sure to select them as Items (and not as components)

Please, be specially careful with this: put “one of your eyes” on the ItemList to be completely sure that the Item corresponding to your component selection is really “selected” in the ItemList. Sometimes you can have a vertex or polygon selected, but if you look to the Item List you can see that another Item (ie. a recently created locator) is “selected” also, with dark background. And this could give your unexpected results.

— If you have nothing selected, your new locators will be added to origin. But be sure that you really have nothing selected ;-)

— All the modification tools (change shape, size, color…) works over various locators at a time, and this is great, but take your cautions when selecting a LOT of Locators, leaving enough time to scripts to work between click and click.

— There is a button to hide your selections (hide the yellow color, I mean). This is useful to see the color you apply to shaped locator wires. But don't forget to re-enable this, since your geometry selections will be hidden too.

— Read the Tooltips, there are some “hidden” things that are not so evident (alternate operations pressing ALT, SHIFT, CTRL). I have included some notes about this on the screencapture.

CREDITS

add_smart_locator.py is based on a couple of scripts by OOZZEE aka Keith Sheppard, modified and heavily customized by MonkeybrotherJr. Thanks guys!

Other scripts within this kit are done by me (yes, I'm learning something, at least to copy-paste) with the great help of various guys on these forums, specially MonkeybrotherJr and Ylaz. THANKS, AGAIN! :-)

Concept, Design and Icons by Cristóbal Vila - 2013 - www.etereaestudios.com

INSTALL

DOWNLOAD ETEREA QUICKLOCATORS

— Move eterea_quickLocators folder to your scripts directory

— Open Modo, press on that new Locator icon in the top bar

— Enjoy :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETEREA MODO RESOURCES · You will find there all my shared tools and kits, with information in English and Spanish

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Message edited by Cristobal Vila on 12/23/2013 - 9:09 AM

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooo much!
Nice release Cristobal. Great job... and a great team effort !!

Are you uploading this to the share...? I think many will miss it if they dont visit this part of the forum !

cheers man !

Message edited by Keith. on 10/4/2013 - 9:40 AM

Thanks for your comments, guys :-)

Keith: thanks again for your great scripts. I have an “Tool Kits Directory” post that I update frequently in the Modo Discussion Area, but you are right: upload my kits to the share area would be even better. I will do ASAP.

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Update December 23, 2013 • Version 1.1

— Icons are defined using the new 'Icons Grid' structure introduced with Modo 701. This means a better file management: Modo does not import a lot of small PNG files, one for each icon. There are just 2 'grid image' files now, one for medium icons (20 pixels) and one for large icons (32 pixels).

— Now you can open the tools in two ways: as a Popover (simple CLICK on icon in top Toolbar) or as a Floating Window (press ALT at the same time).

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Message edited by Cristobal Vila on 12/23/2013 - 9:10 AM

Thank you for these wonderful and powerful scripts!

Working with modo is already quick and easy compare to other 3D software,you scripts make it EVEN MORE PRODUCTIVE AND EFFICIENT!

By saving us from the tedius and repetitive works, you're literally giving free holidays to the modo community!!!

Thank you, again.
Thanks for your kind words, Quiary!
Glad you like these tools :-)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
One thing I see myself needing quite often is to copy the display properties from one locator onto another one (or several). Instead of me writing a new tool for this, I thought it'd be best if you wanted to take a crack at it Cristobal, since this tool is already focused on locators.
What I'd like to see copied/pasted is the following properties:

* Locator size
* Additional draw options (if any)
* Custom shape (if any). This includes all properties for the custom shape, of course.

Anyway, I thought I'd propose this to you. I often rig one side of a character, and when everything works correctly, I work on the other side. It's a pain to re-create the rig, and set all display properties by hand each time. If I could just copy and paste the attributes, it'd be so much easier.
Thanks!

TD/Rigger
www.maxtd.net

That is a good idea, Sergio. And it would be a great and useful addition to these tools. But I have LOTS of other new scripts and new kits “on my mind” to develop, before.
If you have some time to write this tool, and want to share here, I would be happy to include with this kit. And I suspect that this is something that would occurs before ;-)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Quote from Cristobal Vila :
That is a good idea, Sergio. And it would be a great and useful addition to these tools. But I have LOTS of other new scripts and new kits “on my mind” to develop, before.
If you have some time to write this tool, and want to share here, I would be happy to include with this kit. And I suspect that this is something that would occurs before ;-)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Good to know. I'll keep you posted then! Cheers Cristobal!

TD/Rigger
www.maxtd.net