Topic - ETEREA Snapping Bar 2.0 • Updated May 2014 • NEW DESIGN FOR MODO 801 & 90x

Page 1 of 2 12NextLast
Update May 3, 2014 • Version 2.0

— A new design for MODO 801, since the snapping system has been completely rethought.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A utility to access to snaps in a more direct and faster way. I think that next image is self-explanatory ;-)

TO INSTALL 801:

— Move the kit to your Scripts Folder
— Open Modo, create an empty Palette
— Convert palette content to Form View (going to the top-right corner hidden menu)
— Viewport Settings > “ETEREA Snapping Bar 2” (works in MODO 801 and up, only)
— Viewport Controls > Min Header
— Move your mouse pointer to the most upper-left corner content on that palette
— You will see a yellow-orange line surrounding your content.
— Then click and drag from here to attaching the content to another place. For example just over the line that draws the bottom in your 3D viewport)
— It's all. Now, you can close your “intermediate” palette.
— I have included Tool Tips for all elements, yet this is pretty self-explanatory, IMHO.
— Enjoy :-)

Another alternate procedure (without using an intermediate provisional palette) could be to directly RMB in the top-left corner of any viewport to “Split Vertical” and then load the new content here (trough the top-right corner drop menu)…

Special case for 90x:

— Layout > Palette > New Palette
— Small up-right ARROW > Form View
— Small up-right GEAR > Form View Exports drop menu > ETEREA Snapping Bar 2
— Small up-right ARROW > Viewport Controls > Min Header
— Small up-left MINI-TRIANGLE > Drop your palette content to your preferred area in viewport

- - - - - - - - - - - -

>>> DOWNLOAD ETEREA SNAPPING BAR version 2 (FOR MODO 801 and UP) <<<

- - - - - - - - - - - -

And here is also an old Version 1 for MODO 701 (with different design and features, since Snapping has changed completely in 801)

>>> DOWNLOAD ETEREA SNAPPING BAR version 1 (FOR MODO 701) <<<

(same considerations for installation. Just search for “ETEREA Snapping Bar”)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETEREA MODO RESOURCES · You will find there all my shared tools and kits, with information in English and Spanish

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Message edited by Cristobal Vila on 3/15/2016 - 3:57 AM

Another great one!! thanks

Nice! Thanks Cristóbal.

------------------------------------
http://mytrixx.myportfolio.com

render config:
Intel Core i7-5820K@4.4GHz, MSI X99S MPOWER, 64GB DDR4 + Intel Core i7-3930K@4.4GHz, ASUS P9X79 WS, 64GB DDR3

Looks pretty nice Cristobal, good work!
very useful.
thanks Christobal.

Laurent
You are welcome!
Thanks for your kind comments, guys :-)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
I follow your install direction until the part about attaching to screen. Also I don't seem to be able to name the palette. The result is a floating palette that remains as a floating palette until I quit modo 701 and then doesn't reappear when I relaunch the program. I must be missing something basic here.

Thanks!

Mike
Mike: there are lots of ways to do this (and yes, these are pretty basic operations with Modo interface ;-)

I don't have this thing as a Floating Palette. What I suggested on my step to step is to load this content first on a Floating Palette, yes (provisionally), but then move this content from here to your desired place in your screen “dragging & attaching” to some viewport.

Even more detailed “step-by-step” once you have a palette with this, just in case:

— Move your mouse pointer to the most upper-left corner content on that palette

— You will see a yellow-orange line surrounding your content

— Then click and drag from here to attaching the content to another place. For example just over the line that draws the bottom in your 3D viewport)

— it's all. Now, you can close your “intermediate” palette.

Another alternate procedure (without using an intermediate provisional palette) could be to directly RMB in the top-left corner of any viewport to “Split Vertical” and then load the new content here (trough the top-right corner drop menu)

If your are lost, I recommend to search for some basic tutorials and descriptions about customizing our interface in Modo ;-)

Hope this helps.

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Message edited by Cristobal Vila on 9/30/2013 - 8:27 AM

I little question for you Cristobal!

I was playing with your Snapping bar to make it shorter and shorter.
Then I saw something new to me.
When I activate the "Costraint to background" a few buttons show up at the end of the toolbar.
This buttons are hidden till I activate them.

I'm looking in the form editor to understand how you do it but i'm confused.

I see a subform called "Constraint mode". inside I see all the buttons of the toolbar (constraint, guide, primitive background).
Then I see another subform called "Layers". "Layers" is the toolbar that appears when I activate "constraint to background".

But...How?
Where is the command that tells to "Layers" to show up?
I thoungh it was in the "Background" button but it is not there.
The Background button only to this:
tool.set "const.bg" "on"
It activates the constraint to background feature.

Where is the command to tell Modo to show the Layer toolbar?
“…When I activate the "Costraint to background" a few buttons show up at the end of the toolbar”

Jeegrobot: the simple answer is “This is just how Modo works” :-)

Forget for an instant my bar. Do this:

— Go to the native “Snapping” button, at left, just below Toolbar, and click on it
— You get the usual floating panel with lot of snapping options
— Now click on “Constrain > Background”
— Bang! Now you will see some new options in the left bar, just below the originally isolated “Snapping” button.

Simply put: Modo shows some tools/buttons only when some operations/conditions are active. Dot. This has nothing to do with my design. In fact, my bar design (that is very simple) is completely conditioned by these things.

— The same occurs if you press “Geometry” (on the native Snapping options, not my bar). Then you will see a new bunch of options appear.

You can put some options or operations in a form, but is some “parent” tool is not active, then, these buttons will remain invisible.

That is all :-)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Now I understand.
My ideas was: there must be a command to show buttons when needed.
Instead the true is: Modo hides buttons when "not" needed!

Usually applications don't hide buttons not needed, usually they "grey out" buttons.
But Modo is smart!
Thank you Eterea!

PS I'm studying that picture you posted of you swissknife palette...
I love those icons! I recognize a few plugins...other instead are a mistery.
And I love misteries! :-P

Message edited by Jeegrobot on 10/7/2013 - 10:16 AM

You are welcome Jeegrobot.

And, hmmm, that mystery will be resolved in a very short time ;-)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Message edited by Cristobal Vila on 10/7/2013 - 10:20 AM

Update December 23, 2013 • Version 1.1

— Icons are defined using the new 'Icons Grid' structure introduced with Modo 701. This means a better file management: Modo does not import a lot of small PNG files, one for each icon. There are just 2 'grid image' files now, one for medium icons (20 pixels) and one for large icons (32 pixels).

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Update May 3, 2014 • Version 2.0

— A completely new design for MODO 801, since the snapping system has been completely rethought. See FIRST POST.

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Awesome! Thanks Cristobal.

------------------------------------
http://mytrixx.myportfolio.com

render config:
Intel Core i7-5820K@4.4GHz, MSI X99S MPOWER, 64GB DDR4 + Intel Core i7-3930K@4.4GHz, ASUS P9X79 WS, 64GB DDR3

Very nice! Thank you!
Your UI work and concepts are just amazing. I think The Foundry should consider hiring you.

-------------------------------------------------
modo KITs:
https://github.com/nicelifeBS?tab=repositories
https://github.com/modo-scripting-community

Thank you. Finally can start using the modo's snapping :)
Thanks for your responses, guys!
Really appreciate :-)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Wonderful Cristóbal, thank you! How do you find the time to make all those kits?

-
http://pascalnocquet.com
http://modology.fr - Modo Forum in French
Twitter : @modofr

He, he… thanks Pascal! That is a good question. In fact I have a lot of ideas and plans to create other useful kits (one for splines and other for manage workplanes are my first goals, apart from expanding my SwissTools and others…) and it's something that will take some time, because, well… it TAKES TIME :-)

And even more time, now that I have some scripting knowledge (at least with the old-classic “fire and forget” script system), because writing code and pulish it take lots of hours, at least to me… (considering that this is something done in my spare time, of course…)

But this is a very heartwarming experience: create these tools to help myself (and other users) to work better and faster… this make me feel so good! :-D

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Message edited by Cristobal Vila on 5/6/2014 - 2:59 AM

This is fantastic Cristóbal! I split my main 3D viewport vertically, added the form below, and now when I hit 0, I can zoom the 3D view effectively hiding the toolbar when I don't need it. Works brilliantly!
Excellent work, Cristóbal. I've docked the snapping bar at the top of my 3D modeling view. Snapping is now so much more transparent and accessible.

Your kind generosity leaves me speechless. (Fortunately, I can still type!)

Kevin
Quote from kmorgan :
Excellent work, Cristóbal. I've docked the snapping bar at the top of my 3D modeling view. Snapping is now so much more transparent and accessible.

Kevin

well, said, so I will say it again...

Quote from kmorgan :

Kevin

Thank you for this! It is VERY much appreciated!!
Page 1 of 2 12NextLast