Topic - ETEREA Primitives Palette + ToolKeymaps 1.4 • Updated December 2013

Update December 23, 2013 • Version 1.4

— Icons are defined using the new 'Icons Grid' structure introduced with Modo 701. This means a better file management: Modo does not import a lot of small PNG files, one for each icon. There are just 2 'grid image' files now, one for medium icons (20 pixels) and one for large icons (32 pixels).

— I provide an alternate old version, compatible with Modo 601, but I won't update this, sorry.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here I share with you two helpers that I designed long time ago.

THE FIRST ONE is a pop-over that come with lots of ToolPresets to quickly fire some more commonly model “primitives” that I use more frequently (nothing really ”new” on this palette)

I designed this because 99% of times I want to create a 8, 12, 16, 24… sides polygon. And sometimes I want it facetted and some others I prefer it subdivided (because it's interesting to see it in one of other way when you are drawing it)

The direct accesses to facetted or subdivided poly “wall” modes are interesting too. And hey: you have at last a “Add unit plane on the SAME mesh” (not in a new one ;-)

In the 102 update you will find a bunch of UV ready polyhedron created by Allan Kiipli. All edges are 1 m length, except Rhombic Triacontahedron (this one can serve as a construction wireframe for spacetessellative dodecahedron and icosahedron). Thanks for sharing, Allan :-)

THE SECOND HELPER is a more hidden thing.

I have included a ”etereaToolKeymaps.CFG”. On this CFG I have defined lots of keymaps that are “attached” to specific Modo tools, in a way that these keymaps act ONLY when some particular tool is active. The same keymaps performs some operations with one tool, and different operations with another one.

For example, and once you have this installed:

— Fire your “Cube” tool (no matter you choose it on the Modo default palette or this new popover)
— Start drawing your Cube in 3D space, base and height
— And, when this Cube is still “live” press repetitively the next keymaps: Right, Left, Up, Down, PageUp, PageDown

Cool, right? ;-)

Lets see another example:

— Fire the “Tube” tool (again, no matter you choose it on the default Modo palette or my pop-pover)
— Stat to draw a Tube in perspective, one, two, three, four points… ok
— Being this Tube still “live” press press repetitively the next keymaps: Right, Left, Up, Down, PageUp, PageDown, Shift-PageUp, Shift-PageDown, Ctrl-PageUp, Ctrl-PageDown, “P” (look at tube caps), “C” (yes, close-open)

Yes I like it too :-))

And the cool thing is that these keymaps doesn't interfere with other commands, since they are attached to specific tools.

I have keymaps defined for lots of tools. And I plan to add more. If you want, take a look at that ”etereaToolKeymaps.CFG” (located inside “eterea_primitives > configs”) by opening it on a simple text editor or even better if it's a code-editor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> Download Eterea Primitives 1.4 <<< Compatible with Modo 701 and up

>>> Download Eterea Primitives 1.3 <<< Compatible with Modo 601

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTALLATION AND USE:

1. Unzip file and translate the “eterea_primitives” folder (kit) to your Modo Scripts folder.

2. Open Modo. Go to Menu System > Form Editor, open the “Forms” and search for “ETEREA Primitives” Form.

3. Right Mouse Button over it and choose “Assign to Key…” Choose your preferred shortcut. I have chosen SPACE BAR

4. Close the Form Editor, call that shortcut and enjoy

The keymaps included on this kit are available no matter you choose your tools on the default places or using this new popover.

If you find some conflict with some other tool-specific keymaps created by you, simply edit the ”etereaToolKeymaps.CFG” file, or remove it from kit.

I hope you find this useful :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETEREA MODO RESOURCES · You will find there all my shared tools and kits, with information in English and Spanish

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Message edited by Cristobal Vila on 6/26/2014 - 4:31 AM

neat and useful. I was just planning on doing some details for a face of a watch and this will come in handy hehe.

Just wondering..how many scripts do you have? i'd imagine you have very many - so do you keep them all and use menus? or change your shortcut keys often?
Hello Cristóbal Vila!

I have a set of geometric primitives.
Maybe you can incorporate them also.
They have common feature that all edges equal to 1m,
exept rhombic triacontahedron.

Rhombic triacontahedron can serve as a construction wireframe
for spacetessellative dodecahedron and icosahedron.

Dodecahedron_1.zip

Icosahedron.zip

Fullerenmolecule.zip

Snubdodecahedron.zip

RhombicTriacontahedron.zip

RhombicDodecahedron.zip

Icosidodecahedron.zip

Pinned_Dodecahedron.zip

--------------

Also they have polyplanar uv-s and correct orientation in space.

--------------

I throw here an example of what can be achieved with these primitives,
if used with replicators over replicators.

Maybe you can find also some better names for them.

Message edited by Allan_Kiipli on 10/27/2012 - 3:01 PM

Viewlexx: yes, I have lots of scripts installed on my system. I access some of them, the more common and useful, using keymaps (and I don't change these inputs). Other are fired through pie-menus, pop-overs, palettes… you know ;-)

Now I'm in the process of converting all my Scripts/Config folder structure to a more convenient KITs (I love kits, because they bring ORDER to these directories). And I'm creating icons for lots of tools/scripts. A hard but funny work that I try to do in my spare time… Of course I will share here once it's finished :-)

- - - -

Allan: thanks for sharing these great primitives. I will incorporate to this palette as soon as I can (lot of work coming this week, I'm afraid…).

Just one problem that I have detected: when I fire these scripts I get a weird geometry. And I have found were is the problem: Preference Units.

I use Unit System: Metric and Default Unit: Centimeters (and with this setup all goes weird)

Once I return to factory Unit System: SI and Default Unit: Meters all works perfectly, your primitives loads fine.

I was thinking on a possible trick (using pseudo-code):

— Query and store USER Unit System and Default Unit on Preferences
— Change to Factory Unit System: SI and Default Unit: Meters
— Apply actual script
— Change to stored USER initial Unit System and Default Unit

Do you find this doable?

Please, do not get in a hurry, because I won't introduce this immediately (I plan to create too a nice icons for your tools ;-)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Yes, i do it.
And just add one more primitive:

This is Pinned_Dodecahedron.zip

---------------

And its done!

Units are switched to si and back to users units

---------------

Did some coordinate cleanup in Pinned_Dodecahedron.
Replaced scientific e notation with zero.

Message edited by Allan_Kiipli on 10/27/2012 - 2:56 PM

Wow, you are really fast, Allan! Now it works perfectly.

I will create icons for them, incorporate to palette, and sharing here with credit to you, of course :-)

Thanks again for your willingness, Allan.

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
I have updated the first post with your polyhedron, Allan. I could not wait, and the icon work was made this cold morning ;-)
Thank you very much for sharing these great primitives, Mr. Kiipli.

Hope you like it :-)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Thanks!

I like your style.
Just a small update to change a script by Allan Kiipli (Snubdodecahedron.pl)

In words of Allan: “I updated this script in means of coordinates. These are now calculated”

First post is updated.

Thanks Allan! :-)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
is it possible to change the subdivion of the poluhedrons?
Update April 20, 2013 • Version 103

— You will find the form inside a new “ETEREA Group” in the Form Editor (the yellow folders)
— You will see the Kit Version in Menu System > Kit Toggle Enable

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Great! :)

Maybe You put little ' Primitives Palette' icon near 'eterea_weightTools' icon. That will be nice!

Keep the good work!

Update May 28, 2013

Allan Kiipli updated the script “rhombic_triacontahedron.pl”. DETAILS, by Allan: “Due to the possibility of non-zero action center, the Triacontahedron could scale from another pivot. This is now avoided with center resetting and commands rearrangement in the end section”

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
After copying it to the scripts folder, only the UV Tools show up with an icon or anything. It's in the form editor, just not showing up in the app interface. What did I do wrong?
This kit DOES NOT ADD any button to the interface automatically. It's intended to call them using your preferred shortcuts (I use Space Bar for primitives). Follow the instructions on my first post (look at “INSTALLATION AND USE”)

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
@Eterea

This looks really cool. Thanks for sharing
----------------
+1
Hi, can someone please explain how this model was made?
Platonic Solids... Massive thanx! This is exactly what I was after!
Update December 23, 2013 • Version 1.4

— Icons are defined using the new 'Icons Grid' structure introduced with Modo 701. This means a better file management: Modo does not import a lot of small PNG files, one for each icon. There are just 2 'grid image' files now, one for medium icons (20 pixels) and one for large icons (32 pixels).

— I provide an alternate old version, compatible with Modo 601, but I won't update this, sorry.

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Hmm, my primitives are coming in with missing and flipped ploys. No errors in the event log. Something change in a 701 SP?
All is working fine on my system (701SP5 + Mac 10.6.8), included all Platonic Solids.

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Hi Cristobal,

Just wondering you made or programmed the ICON GRID system in modo for the kits. Im a beginner in creating my own tools in modo. I was looking at your icon grids config I just could not figure out if modo has a tool on slicing them up visually ( Dumb question I know :( Im still new to modo as well ).....

Any help will be great !

Also your tools are amazing thanks for the great work and contribution !
The “icon grid asignation” is done by hand, with code, using a TextEditor, like TextWrangler or whatever you prefer.

Cristóbal Vila
etereaestudios.com
Cristobal thank you for the reply ! Will give it a try ! Also cant wait to see your next scripts !

Cheers.